Ch. 1 - The Boy in the Blue Hoodie

The first day at her new school was as hell-filled as she'd imagined it to be

The first day at her new school was as hell-filled as she'd imagined it to be. Normally not a shy girl, just a smidge on the introverted side, Kari felt so intimidated by all these strangers and their established cliques, it was as if she'd lost all knowledge of social skills. Not even how to say hello. Her legs felt like jelly walking through every classroom door and her voice matched. She'd observe her new peers while she'd keep to herself. Looked on as they laughed and had fun with each other, much like she used to do.

Things didn't improve much for her even after a couple weeks. And one morning, in English class, it all came to a head.

The teacher was standing at the front of the class in front of the board delivering a lecture detailing their assignment for the period. The book they'd been reading was Lord of the Flies. But Kari not only was behind due to joining the class a couple days after they started the book, but other things were on her mind so she never quite caught up. Whenever she'd think she managed at last, the class was ahead of her again. It had gotten to the point where she started taping notes to her arm under her sleeve and peeked at them to stealthily cheat on the quizzes and keep up grade-wise.

"I want you guys to group up to work on this assignment. I'll let you choose your groups. I recommend groups of three, but you can work in pairs if you want. Just get the work done. And if I see you guys fooling around, this'll be a one time thing."

Kari could feel her soul leave her body watching fellow students proceed to stand up and form groups of two or three with their friends like second nature. It happened fast, faster than she could process — and when it was over, she felt lonelier than ever. The teacher warned the 'privilege' to pick their groups would be taken if they didn't get the work done as a punishment!?

It wasn't like she could ask to work alone because she knew even if the teacher said yes, there wasn't a chance in hell she'd figure the whole thing out herself. Not without spending the entire period skimming the book only to not finish on time.

I guess I need to just pick some group to intrude on...

She looked around the room. Which group of strangers was she about to swallow her pride to?

But maybe she didn't have to do that. Behind her, sitting alone in the corner of the room was a boy that she'd noticed before due to his... distinctive appearance and behavior. Heavyset, sickly pale, shaggy dark brown neck-length ear-concealing hair with sideswept bangs, and always wearing the same well-loved blue hoodie. His very being radiated a noxious aura of gloom that repelled all, and that was perhaps why she'd never once seen him interacting with anyone, let alone participate in classes. He also showed up late to classes sometimes. So although he was not the inviting sort, it felt better to ask to pair with him seeing as he was in the same boat as her — unpaired.

 So although he was not the inviting sort, it felt better to ask to pair with him seeing as he was in the same boat as her — unpaired