Ch. 14 - Not the Same

Keeping it together while she went through the motions of waiting tables proved to be strenuous. The rational thing to do would be to focus on what's important — pleasing customers so they give her a decent tip. But a restaurant setting and taking people's orders was the worst place to be and the worst thing to be doing respectively, while trying not to ponder the morality of being a fat admirer who, any way she slices it, fuels her obese friend she finds attractive's food addiction. Kari could reason all she wants that it's because Milo would not get to eat anything otherwise, but the fact that she practically encourages his overindulgence... would the morally-right thing be to try to help him find an alternative form of stress relief that wasn't so... hedonistic?

There is nothing wrong with being... bigger. She was positive she knew that regardless of her 'stupid' kinks, because, really, what is wrong with it?! Unless she just couldn't see whatever that is because she can't grasp what it's like to be a 'normal' person who thinks fat is 'repulsive'... But something about hedonism, living in pursuit of pleasure, didn't feel right. She didn't know what exactly made it such, couldn't articulate it.

Every larger guy she saw reminded her of yesterday's realization and Milo and everything else. The food reminded her of it too. The line cooks in the kitchen did as well, because it brought herself cooking for Milo to mind. Every time she counted tip money and hoped for it to be sufficient, she wondered if the reason she hoped for good tips was so she could feed Milo more.

What about this job. Serving food to people. Did she apply to waiting jobs because she potentially gets to serve food to large men? No, the rational part of her brain reasoned. It's to jumpstart my career in the culinary industry.

...But why do I want *that!?* Why do I enjoy that!?

Am I as much of a hedonist as Milo...?

═════ ◈ ═════

Kari rode her bicycle home. It was a warm, sunny day. Summer was approaching. She loved summer, hated the cold. But she couldn't appreciate the weather with what was on her mind.

She usually messaged Milo the second her shift ended to be excited for what she'll cook. But she couldn't bring herself to because thinking about his upcoming visit turned her stomach. But feeling guilty over not telling him made her sicker. This is so, so important to him, and yet...

No, I have to tell him!

At a stoplight, Kari opened Skype

At a stoplight, Kari opened Skype. Milo's status was online. He must be awaiting my message, she thought. But her fingers didn't so much as twitch. Long enough for the walk signal to return. She continued riding, no message sent.

When her house was in view, her heart leapt. Despite not sending anything, Milo was waiting on the porch. He was wearing a gray t-shirt and had his hoodie's sleeves tied around his neck like a cape. He noticed her when she got close, his eyes lit up.