Ch. 18 - The Ongoing Pursuit

That night, Kari begrudgingly went with her parents to a restaurant. She knew it wasn't a good idea, not just because she wore her emotions on her sleeve which might prevent her from maintaining a poker face, but she wondered if she should stay home in case Milo showed up. She didn't know if he would, she was in the dark. Milo hadn't responded to her messages yet. She'd been checking Skype every few minutes for the past few hours. And this was not something she could emit a peep about to her parents, because that would require her to break the promise she made with Milo. Even though, as she now had known for some time, Milo was sabotaging himself by keeping everything a secret.

Who knows what that heartless bitch did to him after I left...

No idea how she could make things even worse for him... but I'm sure she'd find a way.

...What if she took his iPod and that's why he hasn't answered?

But what was more important? His trust in her, or safety? Obviously, it was his safety. Which more than likely was on the line. Pressure was as high as ever to spill the beans, but she still didn't, even as her father tried to pressure her into telling him why she was so anxious and not eating much.

"Kari, why're you scared of saying it? What're you so afraid of?!"

"...S-Stop asking already-! It's nothing!"

S-Stop asking already-! It's nothing!"

═════ ◈ ═════

Every time she closed her eyes, thoughts rattled in her head back and forth. She felt nauseated, her chest felt tight. At the crack of dawn she conceded defeat against her anxiety and opened her eyes, the part of her head behind her eyes throbbing dully. She then reached for her phone, slowly sliding it into view from behind the pillow. She tried to make use of reverse-psychology to conjure what she hoped for, even though the past countless times she did that in twelve hours didn't amount to anything. But this time...

[3:55:23 AM] Righteous Dragon Knight:
Ughhhhhhh I'm so sorry I'm so sorry I'msosorryimsosorryyyyyyyyy I know I must've worried you to hell and back, I should've just said something!

[3:56:06 AM] Righteous Dragon Knight:
I'd be lying if I said I'm okay. But don't worry about me, because I'll get through anything as long as I have you by my side.

[4:01:41 AM] Righteous Dragon Knight:
Sooo umm unfortunately I have a lot of bad news. First... sigh, I can't get those containers back. I found one in the sink. Mom ate it for dinner. The rest must be in the fridge because I didn't find them in the garbage. As if I'm not already a financial drain on you.

[4:06:13 AM] Righteous Dragon Knight:
Second, my mom says I'm banned from being around you. Not that it means anything... because like hell I'd listen to her. Fuck what she says, she could never keep me away from you. You're the only person who's ever been kind to me, and she wants me to just cut you out of my life? Possibly forever?