Ch. 12 - The One

"Mom?"

"What."

His mother was hardly helpful to talk to. But this was something weighing heavily on his mind and he had no one else to approach. Not even the internet, unless he wanted to waste his precious time at the library instead of looking for food desperately trying to quell his hunger. And he knew his mother had to know the answer... assuming she'll give one. For as long as he could remember, most of the time he'd try to discuss what's going on in his life, she would push him away. She'd tell him, "Later. [She's] too tired." Even if Milo was on the edge of having a breakdown and needed comfort.

"What does being in love feel like?"

"You'll know it when it happens." Emmeline answered. But dismissively. Milo sighed.

But she turned to her son, looked at his face. Her eyes then lingered on a photo on the wall of a certain beloved person that happened to be right behind Milo. Then, her eyes went to the floor and she crossed her arms.

"

"...Someone who makes you happy. Someone you want to be with forever. You're always thinking of that person. You feel the love in your chest. It's heavy... but it also makes you feel light..."

She realized she was still going. Emmeline gazed at that photo again, and then again her eyes, full of sorrow, hit the floor again. They then flared briefly, frustrated, she huffed. She was back to her default grumpy self.

"And you want to... k...kiss the person you're in love with...?" Milo asked.

"Obviously."

"Why...?"

"Why what??"

"Why... do people like kissing...? It's weird... isn't it kind of unsanitary? Tongues and... s...spit, and—"

"What do you care about being sanitary?! You know how unsanitary it is to be that fat?! You don't think about that shit when you kiss. Kissing feels euphoric!"

Milo shook his head. "I... don't think I... want to."

"How do you know if you never kissed!? WHAT, you still think girls have cooties!? You're fifteen, not five! You just need to find the right person."

"The right... person...?"

"Trust me. I've never had feelings for anyone but your father. You just need to find, 'the one.'"

"O...Okay. ...But. What if I never find... th... the one?"

"I'd be more concerned about the reverse if I were you, Milo."

"Huh?"

"Huh!?" She spoke a bit deeper to mock his voice. "You seriously—!? You're dense! Even if you find 'the one', who the hell wants some fat fuck like you?!"

Sharp blow... but she's right.

...That conversation happened over a year ago. While his feelings still confuse him, there now is a person who fulfills some of what his mother described. Someone he's always thinking of, who makes him happy, who, consequently, he wishes to make happy in any way he can. Someone he wants to be with forever.