Ch. 9 - Serving Up Hope

Both standing at the fridge, Kari turned to Milo, patted his back, and asked, "So what did you want me to cook?"

"Food." he replied desperately.

"Of... of course..." Figures. He's so hungry he'd eat leather. "But I meant, remember I'll make your favorite? If you could have one dish, right now, what would it be?"

"W-Well, uh. I'm not picky. But... I guess, umm." He put his hands together, pleading. "Can you please make pizza? I love pizza, it's my favorite."

Pizza!? Crap...

It had to be something that's baked. Baking... was not her forte. But even if she could bake, she knew, as a yeast-leavened dough, pizza can take a while to make from scratch. A while she didn't want poor Milo to wait.

I can't disappoint him! What do I—

Luckily, he's probably not particular about the bread used for a pizza.

"I know! My dad bought fresh bagels this morning. How about pizza bagels?"

"Ooh!! Would they be like Bagel Bites? I used to love those!!"

Yep. Not hard to please.

"Yes! But better! Bagel Bites suck in comparison to making them with fresh bagels." she said, running to the oven to preheat it, and then to the counter. "And they're not only easy, but they hardly take longer than the frozen kind. I'd just need to slice some bagels in half, spread sauce, add cheese, and then toast for a few minutes and that's it."

"A few minutes!?" chirped Milo, spontaneously materializing behind her. He was ecstatic at the prospect of eating a meal in a few minutes.

"How many do you want?" Kari asked him, taking bagels out of the paper bag.

"Uhh... um." Was ecstatic. He frowned guiltily and twiddled his thumbs. "...How... many do you... have...?"

"Looks like there's three left, which would make six." Something nudged her to then follow that up with, "If you want all of them, it's okay."

"I-If it's... o...okay with you... th-then... yyyes please."

Kari shivered, but she wasn't cold. Actually, she felt the opposite of that. She tried to distract herself from the strange feeling by running her mouth with the first thing that came to mind.

"Uh, you know, pizza actually has decent nutrition! It has protein and calcium from the cheese, vitamin D, vitamin C from tomatoes... oh and antioxidants too."

"Th-That's nice. I like pizza because it has vitamin yum. And cheese. Wait. That's also vitamin yum."

"Vitamin yum? Cheese lover, aren't we." Kari said giggling, opening the fridge. Milo peeked inside. He watched her grab the needed ingredients out of there — jarred marinara sauce and a bag of shredded mozzarella.

"Y-Yes,  I... uh, love, love cheese." Milo said, coveting the bag.

"Noted." 

Of course he does.

Kari sliced bagels in two and spooned marinara onto them. Milo hovered over her.

 Milo hovered over her