CHAPTER EIGHT

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

I wake up warmer than I was initially last night. Confused, I slowly open my eyes and realize why. Somehow Rafe managed to shift me back into the sleeping bag and used one of his blankets to wrap around me. His back was turned to me as I watch his sleeping form on his makeshift bed-- his breathing slow as he shifts in his sleep. Well after last night he deserves to sleep cold and uncomfortable I think as I push out of the sleeping bag, moving to unzip the tent.

Sarah and Topper are already up and dressed, sitting around as they drink their hot coffees. They both smile at me cheekily as they eye out the tent I crawl out of.

"Hope you guys wrapped it up" Sarah laughs causing me to flip her off as I move to find a waterbottle in the cooler.

"You are disgusting-- both of you" I say as they both laugh at me. Their laughter only grows louder as Rafe eventually climbs out of the tent, mocking him too about something that never happened last night.

"Guys you know hiking isn't for everyone" I complain as we approach yet another track the two of them are hyped to walk up. Sure the scenery looked amazing at the top but the walk up looked like an absolute pain. Yet again, Rafe and I were the only sane people in the group dreading it.

Yet again we find ourselves climbing up, having barely digested our breakfast as we bask in the hot sun. I'm fine with the silence that rests between Rafe and I as we trail behind. I didn't have anything I needed to say to him nor wanted to, he deserved the silence. I wasn't going to engage in his confusing mind games anymore, I was just giving him what he wanted by doing that.

"The weather's nice" He hums and I scoff at his lame attempt at small talk. I barely respond, just nodding at his statement. He notices this, looking over at me with a small smile ghosting his lips.

"Seriously? Giving me the silent treatment now?" He snickers, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Oh please like you don't deserve it"

"Wow, you're really saying that as if I didn't sacrifice a comfortable sleep for you last night" Rafe argues, causing me to stop in my place as I give him a look of disbelief.

"After you hijacked my sleeping bag and then kissed me again! One-- two random acts of kindness don't get you off the hook for the other shit you've done to me" I cry out in anger.

"So what, I can't make a few mistakes?" Rafe questions defensively and that's what pushes me over the edge, his tone causing me to finally snap.

"Mistakes? You've done nothing but torment me and made my life hell. I've had to put up with you calling me names, insulting my parents and then jumping my friend-- I don't know what I've done to you to deserve any of it" I exclaim, feeling goosebumps raise on my arms as my heart pounds in my chest. As I confront him, my throat tightens as I try resist the urge that burns through me, tears threatening to spill as I continue.