CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

Evelyn Banks

There was a brief moment of silence, I was planted on the spot, my eyes watching Sarah closely as my mouth opens and shuts-- words failing me as she narrows her eyes at me. If looks could kill, I'd be dead and gone by now. When she shakes her head in disbelief-- turning to exit the room I finally find the strength to talk as I follow her out.

"Wait, Sarah-- I can explain" I stutter out as I trail after her down the hall, she scoffs briefly turning to give me an angered look.

"Explain what? That you've been secretly fucking my brother?" She huffs, not faltering her pace as she makes a beeline for the front door, almost slamming the door in my face as I follow closely behind her.

"No, it's not like that! We haven't even gotten to that stage yet" I argue, hoping she'd stop so I can talk to her properly but she doesn't-- forcing me to lunge forward to grasp ahold of her arm and pull her back.

"Please, just let me explain everything" I gasp out, she tears her arm out of my grip before turning around to face me, an angered look clear on her face. She indicates for me to continue before I start to stutter out my explanation.

"Okay I know what you just saw wasn't ideal-- but I haven't been sneaking around with Rafe-- I mean I have but we haven't had sex or done anything like that--"

"Get to the point" She snaps at me, causing me to nod softly before continuing. Before I can say anything else, I feel Rafe's arm coil around my torso as he pulls me into his side. He gives me a reassuring squeeze before answering for me.

"We love each other" Rafe states and I'm grateful that I can feel his hand on my hip, his touch comforting me. Mine subconsciously creeps ontop of his, grasping ahold of his hand.

"We've been dating for five months-- nearly six" I elaborate, our words earning us a scoff in disbelief from Sarah.

"Love each other? And you have been dating for five months! How-- why-- you hate each other" She rants, causing me to shake my head before looking up at Rafe briefly-- he gives me a small comforting smile.

"We did but-- this just happened. We  couldn't control it. I love your brother" I state, causing her to let out a humourless chuckle.

"How could you do this to me, Evelyn? You're my bestfriend!" She exclaims, causing me to wince at her outburst.

"You've been lying to me for months! So everytime you've come over, hung out with me-- slept in my fucking bed, you were sneaking around with my brother" She seethes, her accusations make me gulp, a throat growing in my throat.

"No, Sarah--"

"I don't know what to believe anymore, if any of our friendship was real-- if you were just using me to get closer to Rafe-- of all people, Rafe!" She stutters out, her tone full of disgust.

"I thought you'd have standards, my brother is a conceited asshole--"

"I'm right here" Rafe intercepts, Sarah blatantly ignores him and continues.

"You are my bestfriend Evelyn, being my bestfriend means not dating, fucking or even befriending my brother. What the fuck is wrong with you? With both of you" Sarah spits, her harsh tone causing tears to form in my eyes.