CHAPTER NINE

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

When I arrive at Barry's the bonfire is lit but there's no one around it-- indicating that Barry and Rafe are inside. I lock the car door before getting out, sighing heavily as I prepare for what I'm getting myself into. More accurately, getting dragged into by Rafe. 

The front door is open, not holding any resistance when I twist the door handle and push it. As per usual the place is trashed, dirty dishes stacked in the sink, beer cans everywhere and remnants of drugs on various surfaces.

"Barry if I accidentally step on a needle or something I'm going to kill you" I say in disgust as I step over the trash in the doorway.

When I walk in I find Rafe sitting on the ground in front of the sofa, his knees pulled up to his chest and his eyes vacant as he mutters something under his breath. Barry is squatted down next to him, an exhausted look on his face when he turns to look at me.

"Thank fucking god you're here. Deal with that" Barry sighs out as he pushes up and moves past me to go to the kitchen. I move towards Rafe, careful not to startle him as I lower down to his level and rest my hand on his shoulder. The contact gains his attention, his eyes full of tears as he turns to look at me.

"Evelyn?" He cries as he moves to reach out for me, his arms wrapping around my waist as he pulls me into his embrace. He nuzzles his face into my neck as he hugs me, his tears wet on my skin as he quietly cries. Confused and unsure of what to do, I just wrap my arms around his shoulders and comfort him.

"Rafe, what's wrong? What happened?" I question him when I finally pull away, resting on my knees beside him.

"There's something wrong with me" Rafe stutters out, tears falling from his eyes as he speaks.

"Are you sick or hurt?" I say in attempts at making him elaborate on what he means. He shakes his head before his fingers press against his temples roughly.

"No-- in here. I hear voices and they make me wanna do things"

"What things Rafe?" I whisper, grasping ahold of his clammy hand.

"I uh-- got into an argument with my dad again about me being doing drugs around Wheeze and he kicked me out" He explains and I nod in understanding, waiting for him to continue.

"I wanted to go back there and shoot him dead" He states and I feel lost at what to tell him, just trying to process what he's just told me. He notices the look on my face and pulls away, his breathing starting to pick up as he hyperventilates.

"You think I'm crazy don't you-- fuck, you hate me" He cries out as he tries to catch his breath.

"Rafe-- breathe, c'mon just breathe. Calm down" I say as I grasp ahold of his face, forcing him to look at me as I demonstrate taking deep breaths for him to follow. He does with shakey breaths, eventually going quiet as he focuses on relaxing.