CHAPTER ELEVEN

Evelyn Banks

Evelyn Banks

"I did it because I like you"

His words stun me, I stand still for a few moments just trying to process what he just confessed. My mouth opens and shuts as I try to form a response but nothing follows through.

"Evelyn, say something. Please" Rafe begs me, his eyes almost full of regret as he stares down at me.

"I don't know what to say" I stutter out, almost choking on my words as I respond. I watch the look on Rafe's face falter as he inhales sharply before he nods. He silently pushes past me, pulling the door open before he leaves my house. I bite back the guilty feeling that washes over me as I watch him leave. I decide to sit down and catch my breath for a few moments, trying to wrap my head around the last ten minutes.

Eventually I follow after him, sighing heavily as I prepare a speech ready in my head. When I notice that the garage doors are wide open, I assume he's in there and go inside. I find him near my dad's old motorbike, his hands fiddling around with the wires.

"Rafe what are you doing?" I question him in confusion, he doesn't answer me and continues messing around with the bike. I mutter a seriously before I move towards him, attempting to grab his hands that he pulls away from me.

"Don't" He warns me, an agitated look clear on his face as he looks up at me.

"Rafe can you just stop for a second, please" I plead, hoping he'll back away from the bike but he doesn't. Eventually the bike hums alive and starts up, when it does he quickly sits on it, revving it in preparation.

"Move out of the way Evelyn" Rafe seethes as I move to block him from leaving.

"No, not until you get off" I say stubbornly as I remain planted in my spot, unphased as he revs the bike again.

"You had your chance to talk, now move before I run you down" Rafe warns me, narrowing his eyes at me as I stare him down.

"I'm not moving Rafe"

"Fine, have it your way" Rafe scoffs before he drives forward, almost ramming me with the bike as he passes through. I thank my reflexes as I stumble back, trying to pace my pounding heart as I watch him speed off with my dad's bike.

"That's just great" I mumble before I lock up the garage and try to figure out what to do about Rafe and my dad's stolen bike.

When my dad arrives home I don't tell him anything about Rafe leaving or the fact he hot wired his bike and stole it in front of me. I eat dinner with him before asking to borrow the truck, I lie and say I'm going over to the Chateau and hang for a few hours. He believes me and hands me over the keys before I kiss him on the cheek and leave.

Hey this is Rafe, sorry I missed your call leave a message or don't, I don't care.

I hear the same sentence again when the call goes straight to voicemail for what felt like the hundredth time. I sigh heavily as I hang up and decide to just drive to Barry's and check in with him. I hate how nervous I am, my fingers drumming against the steering wheel relentlessly as I drive. I was worried about Rafe's safety, he could've easily gotten high and then rode back to Figure 8. I was hoping he wasn't in a ditch somewhere as I drove into Barry's, hastily parking the car before I get out.