Chapter Thirty-Seven

a/n; apologies for any typos besties <3 anyways I feel like we're nearing the end, probably giving this book another five chapters :')

____

Evelyn Banks

"Guess you don't need me anymore" I huff, scolding my dad for getting into the car on his own. He waves me off, telling me he's fine and to stop babying him before he's shutting the door.

We spend the rest of the ride home with me going over the Rehab centre yet again. I repeat the same cycle of information I've told him constantly over the last few weeks. What will happen when he gets admitted and how he'll be able to visit when he's recovered.

By the time we pull into our driveway, my dad is beyond exhausted but relieved to finally be home. I help him out of the car, letting him lean most of his weight on me as we make our way to the front door. He sighs when he's finally on the couch, thanking me before I go back out to grab his things.

The rest of the evening is slow, which is a relief. My dad is out cold on the couch after dinner, leaving me to my own devices so I choose to sit in the kitchen on my laptop. It's almost ten pm when I hear a knock at the door, the sound causing me to pull my earphones out to check who it is.

It feels like deja vu when I pull the door open to find Rafe standing on the door step. He smiles at me, his eyes leaving mine momentarily to gaze behind me to the living room, the sight of my dad asleep on the couch only making his smile widen.

"Well, glad to see he's back to normal" He chuckles.

"It's late, you didn't need to check in" I say as I step aside and usher him in.

"I was in the area, thought I'd stop by" He shrugs nonchalantly and I give him a knowing look. He brushes it off, giving me a coy smile before changing the subject.

"So my visit to the rehab centre is next weekend" He trails off and I hum in response, waiting for him to continue as I move to lean against the counter.

"Did you want to come with me to see it? We'll be back by monday" He continues before launching into the details of flights and what hotel we'd stay in for the weekend.

"I want to come and support you but Rafe I can't afford any of that, especially the flight ticket" I sigh heavily, the vision of me flying over with him vanishing as my dad's hospital bills move to the forefront of my mind.

"You're not paying a cent toward it. It's already been paid for"

"You and your family have done more than enough for my dad. Look I'm already finding ways to pay you back for his rehab expenses, I don't want to add to that Rafe" He let's out an exhale, his head tilting slightly as he watches me.

"You don't owe us and we're not expecting you to pay us back. My dad was more than happy to help" He states, pushing off of the counter to step closer to me.

"I'll be honest, the whole trip is making me nervous. I've never done something like this before..." He tone softens as he looks down at my hands, his own lingering and resisting the urge to grasp ahold of them.