CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

(Warning there is mild smut in this chapter!!)

Evelyn Banks

It was good to feel normal again. The last few weeks were going better than I had anticipated. Everyone was happy, Rafe and I were practically inseparable and my friends were still blissfully unaware of my secret relationship-- things were stable. My dad was sticking to his promise of quitting his addiction and was starting to go to the programs I found for him. It was becoming a routine, me driving him out of town to go to the clinic every Saturday, then on the way back we'd stop at this small cafe we found.

I trust him-- of course, but I was still keeping tabs with Barry, making sure that my dad had no contact with him and that he was no longer buying his supply. I was sure Barry was close to blocking my number because of the excessive amount of times I message him in a week.

I'm pulled away from my thoughts at the sight of Kie waving her hand in front of my face-- her voice finally processing as I avert my attention to her.

"Finally, it's like you were in autopilot or something. Which one should I pick?" She questions me, holding up two options of jean shorts from the rack. I hum before pointing at the one without the rips, causing her to shove the other one back onto the rack.

"Wait, where are the boys?" I question her when I finally notice none of them are in sight, she shrugs before burying her head in the racks again. I huff before walking off to another corner in the store to pull my phone out.

See you tonight sweet girl ;)

I smile at Rafe's message, a reminder of the date he had been planning and talking up all week. In all honesty, I was excited and couldn't wait to break away from trailing behind Kie in this store. We all decided to mess around today and do nothing in particular but her 'quick' stop to get some clothes turned into a whole hour of browsing in this store.

"Kie, c'mon-- my beers are getting warm!" JJ calls out when he pushes through the front door of the store, his complaint catching the attention of other shoppers. Kie rolls her eyes before exhaling out a fine before moving to pay for herself.

I was grateful for JJ's lack of patience because we finally broke away from the stores and headed for the beach to catch the sunset. Since JJ only bought a four pack of beers, I declined the offer of sharing one with Pope-- deciding to just skip on the alcohol altogether.

"That's weird, you never pass up a can" JJ announces his suspension, eyes narrowing as they examine my face. I shrug nonchalantly, before defending my reasons.

"Trying to cut down"

"Are you pregnant?" JJ accuses me, a shocked expression already taking over his features. Kie shoves his shoulder, scolding him for even making an accusation like that.

"No, why would you assume that J-- I just don't want a beer, is that such a crime?" I scoff, causing him to raise his hands up in defense.

"Sorry, just making sure"

We sit on the beach past sunset, talking about anything until we feel the air start to cold around us-- the wind picking up as the night carries on. We all pile into the twinkie and make our way home. During the car ride I feel my phone vibrate, causing me to pull it out and subtly read Rafe's message.