Chapter One

A name is the very first thought on Rainbow Dash's mind as she wakes up in the morning. She stretches with a groan as the morning light boldly greets her through the blinds, nearly burning her skin off. She yanks the blanket up and glances to the side. Her eyes fall to the spot next to her; the spot currently occupied by a certain blonde. She sighs in relief.

Applejack is still asleep. And wow, is she gorgeous. Her startling beauty is nearly impossible to describe with words alone. She's like a rare flower blooming in the mud; a single bright star in an otherwise empty night sky. A radiant jewel in a deep and dark cave. A fallen angel.

Rainbow Dash smiles. She brings up her palm to rest on the girl's cheek. She finds herself staring at her chest expanding and contracting slowly, counting every single breath she takes. Truthfully, she could stare at her forever.

Applejack shifts slightly, making a soft and barely audible noise in her sleep. Rainbow pulls her hand back reflectively.

"...Rainbow?" Applejack mutters softly. Her eyes flutter open to reveal those incredible emeralds that Rainbow Dash loves so much.

"Sorry, AJ. Did I wake you?" Rainbow asks quietly.

"Yeah," Applejack replies. "But it's alright," she adds with a smile.

That smile–oh, how Rainbow loves that smile. It's breathtaking. She can't help but lean in and plant a sweet kiss on it. Applejack replies with an equally sweet kiss on Rainbow's forehead before pulling her close. The sugary scent of apples makes itself present, and Rainbow Dash makes sure to breathe in every whiff of it. A deep sadness pools in her belly, her eyes heavy with unshed tears.

"Applejack..." she says weakly as Applejack rubs slow, soothing circles on her back.

"What's wrong, sugar cube?" she asks gently.

"I had a nightmare again. One about you..." Rainbow Dash replies softly. "Something about you being taken away from me."

The blonde blinks at her in surprise. Rainbow gets nightmares a lot, but it's never been about her. She quickly switches her surprise into a reassuring smile.

"I'm right here, sugar cube. And I ain't goin' anywhere."

Rainbow Dash nods, but the tears fall nevertheless. Applejack tightens her hold on the shaking girl. She brings a hand up to the multi-colored hair, softly detangling it. Although Rainbow would never admit it, AJ knows that the girl secretly loves having her hair played with. Not to mention that Applejack is more than happy to do it.

Rainbow pulls away to gaze into those stunning green eyes.

"I love you," she hears herself say with a blush. She knows she doesn't say it nearly enough. It's usually a line belonging to Applejack; a phrase she finds herself responding to with a simple 'I know' or 'of course you do.'

Applejack studies her for a minute before replying.

"I love you too, Rainbow," she says, her smile widening.

"I know," Rainbow manages through sobs. She smiles back at the older girl, who brings up a hand to softly wipe away the tears from her cheeks.

"I'll make your favorite breakfast," she says, and Rainbow Dash beams.

"Puff pastry apple pies?" she asks excitedly, sadness long forgotten.

Applejack chuckles and nods.

"Only if you get up, though," she says, shooting the girl a playful wink.

Rainbow Dash is on her feet within seconds, and Applejack can't stop the snicker from escaping her lips.