Chapter Eleven

The ground is cold beneath Rainbow Dash. It's in the middle of the night and the only source of light comes from the house – their house– looming above her. Their house where Applejack had made her favorite breakfast a million times, all the while Dash watched her slide elegantly across the kitchen; where Dash had fought with Applejack almost weekly, yet always came crawling back to her for a snuggle around bedtime.

The place where Applejack had comforted her every single time she awoke to a nightmare and proceeded to hug her through the night; where she had apologized for keeping her up, to which Applejack always answered 'it's all good, sugar cube. I love you.'

This house in front of Rainbow Dash is the home where they had shared countless laughs, hugs, and kisses; where they used to eat all of their meals together and fall asleep in each other's arms. Their house, which has lost all of its luster because it's now only hers.

"Go rest up," Twilight says, interrupting Rainbow's train of thought. She turns around to stare at her four friends. They had insisted on walking her home, and she had been way too tired to complain.

"Yeah," she answers, voice weak. She shifts her gaze back to the building towering above them. "Thanks, guys. For... always being there," she says.

"Oh, of course," Fluttershy speaks softly. "That's what friends are for."

"That's right," Twilight continues. "So if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to give us a call, okay? You don't have to be alone in all of this."

Rainbow nods. "Okay."

The girls take turns exchanging quick hugs with her before they take their leave. Rainbow Dash listens to the soft footsteps against gravel slowly fade into nothingness. She inhales sharply as she stares at the door a few feet away. Dash knows herself well, and she knows that she needs to take a moment to count her breaths before making her way to the entrance.

When she eventually does just that, she finds herself pausing in front of it, hesitating. It feels like hours pass – though it was probably just a couple of minutes – before she finally sighs and puts the key to the hole, slowly pushing the door open.

...And there she is. She's standing in the middle of the hallway, hair messy and clothes disheveled, as if she's actually been standing there waiting for Rainbow Dash's return this whole time.

Rainbow shudders. She takes a shaky breath and blinks several times at her. She doesn't disappear. She rubs her eyes roughly, but that doesn't do it either. Applejack is still there, right in front of Dash, watching her with a sad smile.

"...Hey, sugar cube," she greets softly, and Rainbow Dash can't take it. She throws herself into AJ's arms, and she can't get over how real she feels in her grasp.

Her eyes are swollen and burning, her throat feels hoarse and rough, yet she still manages to start weeping for what feels like the thousandth time that day. Applejack places a tender hand on her back and holds her close.

"I must be going crazy," Rainbow Dash murmurs defeatedly through sobs.

Applejack brings her hand up to neatly tuck away a polychromatic strand covering Rainbow's face. She puts the hand on her wet cheek, caressing the wet surface with her thumb. "I'm right here," she tells her.

Rainbow shakes her head. "No, AJ, you're not. I've lost you already. You're gone, and you're never coming back."

"But I'm right here," Applejack repeats.

"Stop!" Rainbow exclaims, pushing away from the girl. "You're not here, Applejack. You even said it yourself. It's all in my head," she spits. "You're all in my head."

Nightmares | AppledashOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara