Chapter Five

When Rainbow wakes up the following morning, she somehow feels more tired than prior to the rest. She can't recall if she had a nightmare or not – she can't remember if she even slept at all. The whole night just felt like a massive blur.

Applejack, she thinks as she turns her head around. Applejack is already awake. She's sitting by the edge of the bed, her back turned to Rainbow, while carefully tying her hair with the usual red ribbons. They must've fallen out at some point during the night.

"Morning," Rainbow says tiredly to inform the girl of her awakening.

The blonde turns to look at her. She smiles sweetly. "Mornin, sugar cube."

"I missed you," Dash says unexpectedly. She watches as Applejack's hands stop. She eyes Rainbow for a few silent seconds before replying.

"I missed ya too, hun," she reciprocates, though a little confused by the sudden statement.

Rainbow Dash closes her eyes and turns over to lay on her back. She pats the spot beside her, gesturing for the girl to join her in bed. "Come on, I wanna tell you something."

Applejack remains still, presumably hesitating, before giving in. Rainbow knows she wouldn't have done this any other morning, but today was different; AJ must have caught onto the seriousness in her voice. She plops down, and Rainbow immediately presses her body close, making herself comfortable.

"What is it?" she whispers softly while stroking the colorful hair. She waits patiently as Rainbow assembles her thoughts before speaking.

"I'm getting revenge," the girl says eventually, voice sharp. The hand in her hair stops.

"...What?"

"I'm getting revenge," Rainbow repeats.

"No, I heard ya," Applejack says, backing away to gaze into the magenta eyes. Her stare is intense as she scans them for information, but the only thing they reveal is pure determination.

"I'm going to start working on it already," Rainbow says, and Applejack's eyes widen.

"Oh no you ain't," she says.

"Well try to stop me then."

The blonde's face hardens. "Rainbow, what are yall planning?"

"Just revenge," the girl replies. "There's no way I'm gonna let him get away with that."

"Rainbow Dash," Applejack warns sharply, but she doesn't have the chance to continue when the other throws her legs over the edge and gets up.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see Twilight."

She flees her way downstairs and ignores the calls of her name from behind.

Twilight's eyebrows instantly shoot up when she opens her front door. Her eyes are huge in evident surprise.

"Hey, Twi," Rainbow greets casually. Twilight forcibly clears her throat before opening her mouth to speak.

"Uh, hi Rainbow Dash... What brings you here?" she asks carefully.

"Oh, you know. Stuff." Rainbow shrugs and brings a hand up to scratch the back of her head. She glances around awkwardly. "Soo... Are you gonna invite me in or what?"

Twilight appears to snap back to reality. "Oh, right! Of course. Sorry, come in."

Rainbow makes her way inside and automatically finds herself aiming for the purple sofa. She comfortably throws herself onto it and lets out a satisfied groan. Twilight shuts her door and follows, eyes not even once abandoning the blue girl. Dash quirks an eyebrow at her.