Chapter 31. Mate Bond

Enjoy the chapter and don't forget to vote! P.S. I might be editing some previous chapters so sorry if some things change!

Norma the maid walked in with a warm smile as she greeted the girl. Placing down the tray of food, the maid glanced at her noticing her dull expression. This was not like Olivia as she almost always returned a smile, but that morning she seemed upset about something.

Norma finally decided to speak as she smoothened out the wrinkles of her apron.

"Is there anything else I could assist you with?" She spoke finally getting the attention of Olivia. "You seem bothered by something Miss."

"Well actually... yes." She replied, still sitting at the edge of her bed. "Could I ask you a question?"

"Of course."

"If you could turn into a vampire... Would you do it?"

The maid raised her eyebrows, not expecting such a question. She eventually answered, not having to think about it for more than a few seconds.

"Working here as a servant for my whole life, I would give up anything to become a vampire." She explained as Olivia listened in silence. "I'm sure you can understand how we humans are treated by vampires, I would give up anything to become one if it meant living a better life."

Norma's answer was understandable, and she reckoned most of the humans not only in the castle but in the entire city would have a similar answer. Although some humans despised vampires, they all agreed that life as as a vampire was better compared to the struggles of a mortal life. Would it really be worth it to sacrifice her humanity?

As Olivia was distracted by her thoughts, Norma decided to speak again.

"I'm sorry, was that not the answer you were looking for?" Norma asked nervously noticing the frown on her face was still there.

"I simply wanted your opinion, thank you." Her lips curled into a half-smile, watching as Norma walked and disappeared from her room.

So many women would die to be in her place. To be turned into a vampire by the vampire Lord himself? Olivia had come to learn she was different when it came to her opinion on certain matters compared to others. Her feelings towards Lord Nathaniel had changed a lot since they first met, and she couldn't help but think if this was a similar situation. But she didn't have a couple of months, a week, or even a day. Her agreement was she would tell him tonight.

Norma's words still repeated in her head even after she had finished eating. Now living in the castle she feared going back to her old life sometimes, although she often reminisced about the simplicity of it, living on her own back in the city would be terrifying. Girls her age would've been wedded by now, as any girl her age living alone could be in danger to the many rogue vampires that roamed the streets looking for a midnight snack.

She looked for a pastime to distract her mind that afternoon, deciding she would get some fresh air out in the gardens as she read. She kept herself focused on the book she was reading, occasionally glancing at the moving clouds and the servants who trimmed the topiaries and watered the flowers.

Finishing another chapter, she placed her book down on the bench and gazed up noticing the heavy clouds accumulating together. It seemed it would rain again tonight, and so she quickly fled inside not wanting to get wet.

Now in the kitchen after returning the book to the library, she watched from afar as servants rushed around preparing the food and dishes for dinner that evening. The servants were too preoccupied to notice her presence, which was why she was caught off guard when a voice came from behind.