Chapter 5. Changes

Happy New Years everyone!! :) hope you enjoy this chapter.

"Olivia." The Lord sighed. "Why are you not in your room, your wounds are still healing." His arms were now crossed over his chest as he stood in front of her.

The girl stood up, brushing the wrinkles out of her dress. She could feel his eyes on her, making her feel only more embarrassed.

"A-apologies my Lord, I was trying to find my brother." The girl stuttered as she averted her gaze away from him as always.

"Olivia?"

She peaked her head through the door and saw her brother sitting next to a crackling fireplace. Surprised to see his sister, Anthony stood up from his chair and made his way to the open doorframe.

"Anthony..." Olivia muttered. "Aunt Caroline... she..."

Olivia broke into tears before she could finish, unwanted memories of her aunts corpse now flooding her blind. Her brother wrapped his arms around her as she cried into his shirt, he wanted to cry too but he knew he had to stay strong for the both of them.

"I know little sister, I know." He whispered.

When The Lord returned last night, he was the one who told Anthony about their aunt's death. As expected, he was saddened by the news but he knew it wasn't anywhere as much as Olivia. She and aunt Caroline were incredibly close, she was almost like a mother to Olivia and now she was gone.

The Lord watched the two siblings hug, a part of him admired how affectionate and close humans were to each other. What other choice did they have with their ephemeral lives? Vampires weren't the type to show affection towards family, they did not see the importance of it.

His face saddened, watching her cry into her brother's shirt, secretly wishing it was him she would cry into and seek for comfort. When she calmed down, she pulled away and was now facing Lord Nathaniel.

"I can't thank you enough for your hospitality and kindness, my Lord." She sniffed, bowing down to him respectfully. "I shall head back home now."

The Lord furrowed his brows, there was an awkward presence in the room as the air now felt stiff. The office was dead silent, all except for the sudden crackling of the fireplace every now and then.

"Olivia," He spoke, hearing her name on his lips again raised the hairs on her neck ever so slightly. "where exactly do you plan on going?" He narrowed his eyes, leaning against a glass table, intrigued by her statement.

"I could stay with one of my friends back in the village" She spoke as she nervously fiddled with her dress. "I'll probably find a job so I can support myself."

She rambled on as both her brother and The Lord listened to her naive and idealistic plan. Olivia was only 18, and most women her age would have already married a suitor. Until then, a job was the best option she had.

"It is not safe in the village, someone is trying to kill you, Olivia. You will stay here in the castle where you are under my protection."

Although his words were those of sincerity and thoughtfulness, he spoke them coldly with darkened eyes. They angered yet terrified Olivia simultaneously.

She hated that she was being treated like a child and that she couldn't make her own decisions. She did like the castle, truly she did, it was beautiful and she could be closer to her brother if she stayed.

However, there was no way she would be living under the same roof as Lord Nathaniel. After seeing how he acted last night, she wanted to get as far away from him as possible.