Chapter 28. Letter

It had been a while since Olivia had last spoken to Louis. Nathaniel had explained that his absence in the castle was because of a few errands he had to attend back in the city. She was overjoyed to find that he had returned from his trip, immediately catching him up with all that had happened the past few days with her and Lord Nathaniel. He listened to her excited rambling as they strolled through the castle halls.

"So you've finally confessed to him?" He smiled in surprise. "I never thought you'd have the courage."

She crossed her arms and gave him a hard glare.

"What? Every time Nathan's around your heart beats so fast I'm surprised you don't faint."

The girl immediately flushed in embarrassment at his words. She was slowly getting more comfortable with Nathan, especially now they were spending more time with each other. However, despite knowing how he felt about her, she was still shy and awkward around him.

"We kissed afterwards." Her smile grew wider. "He even let me stay the night in his bedroom."

"Alright, I don't think I need to know that much." He said as he dramatically wrinkled his face in disgust.

"It wasn't like that!" She replied angrily.

He laughed despite her irritated expression, seeing how face grow as red as a tomato.

"He even took me to this waterfall-"

Her eyes widened as she abruptly paused.

"I forgot it was a secret. Please don't tell him I told you!"

He raised an eyebrow, not understanding why she seemed so worried.

"I wasn't going to."

It seemed the mention of a waterfall wasn't familiar to Louis, which only meant that when Nathaniel had told her nobody else knew about that secret place, it was the truth.

"We spent a lot of time together there. Things are so nice when it's just the two of us, he's so sweet and kind..."

"Nathaniel?" He laughed abruptly. "I think you're the only person to ever describe him like that."

The girl rolled her eyes believing he was only exaggerating.

"I envy you, I have to live with the other side of Nathaniel who's the complete opposite of sweet and kind." He imitated her voice at the end of his sentence.

"He does care for you Louis, probably more than you think."

"I know that." He scoffed and smiled. "Although he might not be as open to expressing it."

"Wait a minute..." She thought. "When was the last time you and Nathaniel spent time together?"

He stopped walking and looked at the girl as if she was crazy.

"Never." He said to see her raise her brows in shock.

"What?" She gasped. "Well, why don't all three of us do something together?"

The girl beamed just thinking of the idea, whereas Louis on the other hand looked concerned.

"I don't think that would be as fun as you would think."

"Why not?" She frowned looking up at him. "Back in the city me and my friends would always spend time together at the end of the week. We would have so much fun."

She was distracted by her thoughts as she reminisced about living back in the city. It was a time when the world didn't seem as bad, and she was much more innocent than she was now, mostly due to her overprotective Aunt Caroline.