Chapter 15. Awkward Dinner

It had been a few days since Lord Nathaniel kissed Olivia, and still, it was all she could think about. The second his lips touched hers everything felt like a dream, and that she would wake up and find herself lying in her bed, but when she opened her eyes he was still there kissing her.

Olivia thought that maybe he had made a mistake, perhaps Lord Nathaniel had too much to drink that night and wasn't acting himself. It made no sense why he would kiss her, after all, what did he see in her? Perhaps he was simply teasing her.

How utterly embarrassing, she thought to herself, her first kiss to be stolen by a man who could never be hers.

To make matters, she hadn't seen Lord Nathaniel since that night, which only left her confused and distracted with her own thoughts.

She knew she was wasting her time, and that she needed to stop with her wishful thinking and focus on the present. The girl had to let go of any feelings she had for him, and be left with the overwhelming guilt of her unrequited desire.

Despite her conflicted emotions, every evening when she ate at the main dining hall for dinner, she would hope for once that she would see Nathaniel there but he never was. He was always busy with meetings and politics, perhaps he just never found the time.

Once she entered, Louis was already sat at the long dining table cutting up some steak with a glass of blood in front of him. Through the tall windows welcomed a passage of light, illuminating the dark and gloomy room. Her gaze turned to the floor, disheartened that once again Lord Nathaniel would not be attending dinner tonight.

Louis had noticed every time Olivia walked in she would scan the room and once she did her shoulders would drop down, as if she was expecting someone. Obviously that someone was Nathaniel.

He wasn't sure why his friend had been so busy the past few days, but he had sensed something had happened between him and the human girl.

Then he was reminded of something.

"I completely forgot to ask you." Louis curled his lips into a knowing smile.

"How was the ball with Nathan?"

As expected, the girl's expression tensed slightly by his question but she quickly regained her composure.

Her reaction told him everything he needed to know.

"Oh... It was fun." The girl muttered nonchalantly as she picked up her fork.

"Anything exciting that happened?" He queried before sipping from his glass.

There was a long silence that followed his question. Olivia looked down at her food, trying to hide her obvious uneasiness.

"Nope."

"Really? Nothing at all?" He was now resting his head on his hand.

The girl nodded as she chewed her food.

"How boring." He pulled back and leaned against his chair. "I was expecting something juicy between you and Nathan."

Gulping down her food awkwardly, she couldn't help but smile, feeling her cheeks get warm as she thought about him.

"So something did happen?" He grinned.

"What? No!" Her eyes widened as her face flushed a bright red.

"You're many things Olivia but a good liar is definitely not one of them."

She bit her lip anxiously, there was no point in lying now. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if she told him? It could help lift some weight off from her shoulders.