2) Leaving Home

Tuesday.

It was 7:00 am on a miserable Tuesday morning and I had to somehow find the motivation to climb out of bed and get ready for the long day ahead of me. I had a 9:30 flight straight to London and I couldn't miss it.

Dragging myself out of bed I carried my tired body to my wardrobe to look for an outfit. After making the decision to wear a pair of black skinny jeans, a white long sleeve shirt with black stripes and a plain black jacket. Grabbing the chosen outfit I shuffled out of my bedroom and across the hallway to the bathroom where I took a nice long hot shower.

Looking at myself in the mirror I realized just how much black I was wearing. It probably wasn't good to be wearing this much black when I was about to see my brother for the first time in 10 months. But knowing I wasn't happy enough to wear bright colors today, it didn't bother me.

I was met in the kitchen by the bright smiling face of my mum. She seemed happy. Like really happy. I knew it was fake.

I was happy with the life I have now, I didn't want it to change. Things were always changing and I just wanted things to stay the same. My mum knew I felt this way, she knew that I didn't take yesterday's news very well and now she was trying to soften the blow. But I'm afraid it was just too late.

"Good morning! I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast. Here, eat them while they're still hot." My mum chirped while placing a large plate of pancakes down in front of me.

"Thanks Mum, but I'm not too hungry." I sighed.

"Please Y/n. You have a long flight ahead of you and I know you're going to avoid eating the plane food." She tried reasoning with me.

She was right. I wasn't going to eat the plane food. I had a packet of plain chips and a small container of cashews in my bag for the flight instead which I doubt I would end up eating anyway.

I knew my mum felt guilty about the situation, so I humored her and ate the pancakes despite me not being hungry.

"Thanks for the pancakes Mum. I'm just going to brush my teeth and then we can head off." I excused myself from the table.

---

As I made my way down the stairs I heard my mum on the phone. I stopped, standing as still as I could to hear who she was talking to and what about it.

"This is a big change for her Liam. She's about to join you on tour for crying out loud!"

She was on the phone to my brother and she was talking about me.

"She didn't take the news well. She doesn't want to leave."

There was a pause. Liam must be talking. I could hear my mum pacing around in the hallway.

"No, she didn't cry. Not that I know of anyway. She never cries, you know that."

That was true, I never cry. I never had an issue with other people crying but when I did it made me feel weak and pathetic.

"Promise me you'll take good care of her?"

Another short pause.

"Okay. Well say 'hi' to the boys for me and text me when Y/n gets to you."

The call was ending. I had to make it look like I hadn't been eavesdropping, so I hurried down the stairs.

"Alright, bye, talk soon." and with that she hung up the phone.

"Hey Mum, who were you on the phone to?" I quizzed as if I hadn't been standing frozen on the stairs listening to her conversation moments ago.

"Oh, just your brother. He's going to pick you up from the airport with Paddy." She smiled at me.