Chapter 35

Mark fired his blaster. The wolf flew back and rolled on the ground.

"Kill it!" Aiden screeched.

The wolf shook it off and charged again. Mark fired another. Dirt blasted off its fur, but the wolf got back up.

"It's not working!" Mark said.

"Use your damn sword!"

Mark summoned Wolfbane.

"Blaez, Edon, stay back!"

The wolf charged. He followed suit, feet pounding in the ground. Mark was getting mad. He didn't want to kill a wolf.

"I'm sorry!" He shouted.

The wolf snapped at his face. Mark flew on top of the wolf's back and pivoted his sword. It cut through the wolf's midsection. He fell off the dead wolf. Green ooze pooled onto the ground, mixed in with the girl's blood. Mark felt bad.

"Thank god," Aiden said. "I thought I was going to lose my shit."

"We should get everyone inside," Mark said. "If there are more..."

There was a squishing sound from behind him. He turned. The two halves of the wolf fizzled and squished back together. The wolf got back up, shook it off like it was nothing, and growled.

"That's not fair," Aiden said.

The green goo swirled in the blood and shot into the girl's dead body. The green flooded her eyes, and they flew open. She grimaced and looked at the wolf. For a few seconds, they stayed there in silent communication. When their heads turned, it was simultaneous like practiced calligraphy. Mark stumbled into Aiden and fell.

"Get up!" He urged.

"You get up!"

They clambered over each other to get up and run. The girl swiftly got up and bolted on all fours. Her spine was curved, allowing her to run that way.

"That ain't right, man!" Aiden said.

Mark pushed him inside. People screamed behind him. He wanted to run out and help them, but someone with green eyes grabbed him in the doorway. The glowing eyes seeped with green smoke. Mark punched him in the face. He saw the crest on his shoulder and closed his eyes with another strike.

"Get in!" Aiden shouted.

He jerked Mark inside and shut the door.

"There's people still out there!" Mark cried.

"We can't help them," Aiden said. "They'll have to find another way."

"It's getting dark out. Even if they survive... whatever those things are, the fireflies will come out. They won't stand a chance. Wait... James. He's out there."

Mark moved to open the door, but Aiden blocked him.

"Don't," he said.

"Get out of my way."

"God, you're so impulsive. If you open that door, you risk letting those monsters inside. Then we're really done for."

There was a scream. Mark tried to move Aiden out of the way, but he pushed Mark back again.

"Stop it!" Aiden begged.

"Someone needs to help them."

"Not you," Aiden said. "We can't keep these people under control if you're dead."

"I won't die."

"Like hell you won't. I'm not letting you out there."

"Get out of the way!"