Chapter 38

Mark went inside the Captain's quarters and didn't feel any more special to be there. It was so much nicer than the rest of the crew's quarters, and he didn't like it.

Just because you're captain shouldn't make you more special than everyone else, he thought.

That was something that he and his father couldn't click on. They could have moved into a much nicer condominium on the colony when his dad became captain, but Mark hated it. He didn't like the change. He didn't want what other people didn't have. It was the opposite of envy. Equity. That's what he wanted.

"If you earn something, then you can use it," his father said.

"It's not fair to everyone else," Mark argued. He was seven at the time. "There are people that work hard and don't get what they deserve. It's not fair."

"Sadly, that's something we, as a colony, have to face. We can always fight for true equality, but we'll never be truly equal."

"If everyone thinks like that," he said, "then it won't be."

Jason never won that fight. He gave up after trying to explain in four different ways why it wasn't possible. He had ended it as a stalemate, but Mark considered it a victory. As long as one side was fighting, there would be a winner.

Blaez and Edon didn't seem to care much for the room, either. They left the room alone. When he was walking back to the elevator, he looked at the entrance to the sim deck. He wished desperately to use the training programs, but it would drain the batteries within minutes. They didn't have much time left for them, maybe a few days. If Vera could get the engine repaired, which was unlikely, then they could use it all they wanted.

He pushed his personal feelings aside and focused on the task at hand. There were people gathering more food. Water was still being collected. Morale was low, but there wasn't much he could do about that.

As for the prisoner... He decided to have a little chat with Trey.

He had VAL unlock the door. Trey was huddled in the corner like a gremlin, hands bound behind his back. The psychosis was falling hard on the teenager. He couldn't have been older than seventeen. Despite having a bathroom, the room smelled like urine. He didn't think about how the guy would be able to get his clothes off to go, but it was too late for that, now. His hair was a mangled mess, and the sheets on the bed matched its style. They were torn to shreds.

"What's wrong with you?" Mark asked. "You made a mess in here."

Trey laughed maniacally.

"Someone has to clean it up!"

"I would untie your cuffs, but I'm pretty sure you would attack me."

"That would be wise. But who cares!"

He turned around.

"Take 'em off! It would be fun!"

Mark had checked Trey's file. He was supposed to take antipsychotic medication to control his temper. He kicked the wall and flailed his head around, foaming at the mouth.

"Let me out!"

"Not happening," Mark said. "I'm sorry I have to keep you in here like this, but the Poachers stole all of the medicine. I can't let you out."

"Let. Me. Out!"

Trey launched himself at Mark and fell on his own feet.

"That tells me everything I need to know," Mark said.

He shut the door and locked it. He ignored Trey's screaming. Austin walked out of a nearby room. He looked really tired.

"Mark. I need your help."

IsolationOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara