Chapter 57

"It was never like that between us," I tell her after a while. "We were like brothers and sisters."

"We didn't know," Natasha mumbles.

"Of course you didn't." I roll my eyes. "He stopped talking with me after that day." And it got very awkward since I started dating Derek. I would go to every match of theirs and Eric would've been there too. I thought he'd talk with me again once the rumors died but he never did. Not even when he failed in English lit on the final.

At some point, I thought I was the reason he chose Ashton over Derek to be the captain after him. Though when I confronted him later, he told me that was not the case.

"And even if it was like what you three thought," I continue. "You guys had no right to spread those lies. You don't get to choose whom I or anyone will date or show interest in."

"I regret every decision we made that day, and I believe Cora did too," Natasha mutters.

"What about Ashely?"

Natasha raises a brow. "You wanna talk about her after what we witnessed today?"

Right. The unexpected encounter at Jim's.

"I apologize again for all we did, we were all young and still struggling. I know what I say won't make a difference but I would appreciate it if you stop hating us." I wonder why I should do that.

Now I know everything that they've done to me. Natasha gave me the reasons behind their actions, but it's no excuse to forgive them. Not after when they ruined my reputation. Ruined my friendship with Eric and made things awkward between us.

But-But there's still a part of me which is willing to forgive them. They were my best friends. They were always there for me until we started to fall apart. Yes, they made mistakes, more than once, but that doesn't mean I can deny the past we had, all those happy memories we share.

Moreover, if they hadn't pushed me away then, I would've never become the person I am now. I owe them for that.

Maybe I'll never be able to forget what they've done, I can never love and trust them the way I did before, but I can always forgive them and move on. I can stop hating them.

Holding grudges to my past will do no good for my future anyway.

Maybe I will do that one of these days. But the day isn't today. Because today, I have a greater matter to deal with.

Natasha stops the car in front of a huge mansion. I look out of the window. It doesn't take me long to figure who it belongs to.

"This is it," Natasha confirms and sighs. "I don't know why Fellan thinks he's so smart, but anyone seeing that Aston Martin coming in and out of that place can tell who it belongs to even with their eyes closed."

I agree with her. No one's as rich as the Fellans' in this town.

"But how did you figure it out?"

Natasha raises a brow. "I live in this street?" Oh yeah, right. Rich people.

I was about to open the door when Natasha's voice stopped me. "Are you sure you want to go there?
You might not like what you'll see inside."

"That decision's on me and not you," I snap.

Natasha doesn't get mad. Instead, her feature softens as she gives me a knowing smirk. "If that's what you want," she mumbles. "Let me know if I can help you to catch them in some way."

I blink. "You want to help me?"

Natasha nods. "It's not just for your sake or to beg your forgiveness, in case you're thinking. I know you won't give it to me anytime soon," she pauses and lets out a deep sigh. "It's just- for once in my life, I want to do something for someone who isn't me. Don't want to remain as the evil ex-best friend of your story."