Chapter 24

Before you read you should know that I don't have much idea about American football as I don't live in America. My sincere apologies in advance in case I didn't get the things right.

🎞

Derek passes the ball to Emery, who is on the other side of the field. Emery catches it in a swift move and runs toward the end zone. The defense team surrounds him from all sides. Seeing the situation getting tough, he passes the ball to one of the Garrett twins, who passes it back to Derek. The defense team tries to tackle him.

But he moves through them fast and advances the ball into the end zone.

"And it's another six points for the falcons!" The commentator says. "And the Falcon wins!"

"We won!" Grace and I shout at the same time as our side of the bleacher howls. Everyone starts running towards the field. It's the first match of the season and we won!

Behind me, I hear someone grunting. I turn around. "You were saying?"

Ashton throws popcorn on me. I didn't even mind.

Because we won! With 43.6 points.

I've never been more proud of Derek. Except for the time when he won that free twenty pizza coupons for me.

Next to Ashton, Miles, and Asher look as bored as him. The only reason they came today to watch the match is because of Owen and Nyako, who are still in the field.

Even though we were able to stop Ashton and Miles' sick-same-clothes and attached-to-the-hip things after all that work, they still hang out with each other, including their other friends this time.

And after Monday, Ashton invited Asher to their group. Owen and Nyako also came around from their 'possessive best friend' attitudes after a long talk with Ashton.

Now Miles and Asher have officially joined Ashton's trio, I came up with a new name for them: the pento. Even though they hate it when I call them that.

Ashton insisted on calling them quintet at least because that's what a group of five people is supposed to be called by, but I refused to use that word. I'm not a human dictionary now, am I?

Moreover, pento sounds much cooler than quintet.

"First-timers luck," Ashton mutters finally.

Grace and I ignore the grumpies behind us and join our team's celebration on the field. The match was held in our school so almost most of the audience is from ours. They all are congratulating the boys for winning the match. The players are surrounded by cheerleaders.

Seriously, guys, it's just u'19 intrastate match, not NFL.

I make our way among the students. Grace takes a few photos and goes to interview the players. When I finally reach the center, Derek is already walking towards the locker room.

"Derek!" I call and he turns around. At first, he looks a little irritated, but then when he sees who it was, his face breaks into a grin. He cuts his way through the crowd and wraps his arms around me.

"It was about time I started wondering if you were ditching me," his voice muffles in my hair.

I smile and look up at him. "What to do? It's not like things are like before now. You're the star player now. Fans merely let me come within a five-meter radius around you."

He winks and kisses my cheek. "Too bad I have my eyes only on one."

I blush and break out of his arms.