Chapter 60

"Attention everyone," the intercom blares. "Due to some unforeseen circumstances, classes are canceled for the remaining period. At this moment everyone is required to proceed to the gymnasium by the principal, she has an important announcement to make. I repeat, everyone, proceed to the gymnasium in ten minutes."

Mrs. Glenda turns off the intercom and smiles. "Was it okay?"

I smile and give her a thumbs up. "Perfect."

I told Ashton about my master plan after Ezra left us with the cookies. At first, he didn't like the sound of it but agreed to help right after.

All we have to do is make it look real and make them confront in front of everyone.

I look at Principal Samantha who's standing beside me with her arms crossed.

"Are you sure it's going to work?" She asks. "I hope I haven't pulled my husband and his team in this for nothing." Her husband is a sheriff, not that many know about it.

It's another secret of the principal that Ashton somehow knows. But he won't tell me how he got to know about her husband.

Yesterday, Ashton and I went over to her place to convince her to help us. We told her everything I heard and she agreed to help us. To make the trap look real, we requested her husband to help us. He was a bit too excited to accompany along and called his coworkers right away, much to his wife's dismay. But he told her that what they are doing is violating human rights.

He also said he's going to arrest them if we can make them confront and as many of them are already eighteen, it won't be that hard to send them to jail.

I grin at our Principal. "It'll be all okay." Then she looks at Ashton.

He looks a bit uneasy. "I'm with her."

Principal nods and turns to the door. "Then I should keep going. You two should go hide in the back before anyone else notices."

"Come on, let's go," I tell Ashton and pull my hoodie on so no one can recognize us.

Ashton does the same and follows me. "Are you really sure this will work?"

I tilt my head. "It should be better or we're doomed forever."

Ashton nods. We run down the (luckily) empty hallway to the back of the gym.

Kat turns around when she hears us. "Why am I imprisoned here?" She asks.

"This is for you best," I say and pat her head. "They'll question you if you sit with everyone out there."

She swats my hand and tries to peak through the gap of the curtains. Students have started to arrive.

"It's better if we don't try to sneak," Ashton says. "We'll be doomed if anyone catches us."

Kat walks over to the couch. "I hope it'll work." She digs out her phone and plugs headphones in her ears.

I peek outside to the gym and gulp. Is it really going to work? I feel someone entwining their fingers with mine. I glance to my side. Ashton gives me a reassuring smile and squeezes my hand. I squeeze it back.

As told, all the students are presented in the gym within the next ten minutes. I try to find Derek.

As expected, he's sitting in the middle with his friends. Emery is sitting beside him. Ashley is sitting on the other side of Emery along with their friends.

I look at the other side of the room and find the newspaper committee sitting together. Asher, Cora, Owen, Nyako, and Bonnie are with them too.

Payton looks still a bit mad at Bonnie but doesn't say anything.