Empty Space

MRS. HARRY

Sunday, 10:01am

The kids told their best friends about the move. I'm proud of them, I know that isn't easy. Ella has been acting a little bit different since telling Chiara, which makes sense...right? Maybe I should check on her. I start up the stairs but I can't help but notice something different about the hallway. I can't quite put my finger on it.

I am about to knock on Ella's door, but stop to admire it first. It is painted a soft green and has the height markings of her and Chiara along the middle. They started recording their heights years ago. I can't believe this door will have to be painted over before we leave, I realize. I take my last look at the memories drawn on it and knock lightly.

"Come in." She hesitates at first, weird.

"You okay?" I ask, not wanting to pry.

"Yep." Ella replies. Her answer is short but it makes me think she doesn't want to talk about it.

"Okay then, I'll be downstairs if you need me." I start to get up to leave, but I spot what looks to be a picture framed peeking out from underneath Ella's bed. I reach down to pick it up and she doesn't object. I notice it is a photo of her and Chiara from Ella's birthday party a few years ago. Chiara is wearing a horrific dress that I used to think looked like parmesan cheese. She always had horrible taste in dresses. I smile, and realize I had seen it before. The empty space, I thought. I handed it back to her and walked out. If she needs to talk, she can come to me.

I look out the window to see Vaughan and Liam playing out in the yard. I'm gonna miss seeing that.