Can't Get Much Worse Than This

Chiara

Wednesday 11:24am

I stare down at the oddly shaped thing wrapped in foil that's in my hands. I turn it over to see a sticky note taped to the back.

It reads "Try not to blush when you touch it this time."

I furrow my eyebrows and peel back the foil to uncover a buffalo chicken cheesesteak. I throw my head back with laughter, the memory of the two of us going in for one of these at the same time coming into my mind.

I didn't know he saw me blush during that...that's embarrassing. I have no idea why he brought me this on a Wednesday afternoon, but a free cheesesteak is a free cheesesteak, so it's fine by me.

I run downstairs to put it in the fridge. I'm not hungry now so I'll eat it later. I don't really know what to do with my day. The Harry's are spending time together as a family on their last day here. I sit down on the couch and sigh just before my mom walks into the room.

"Bored?" She asks.

"Guess so."

"Why don't you run down to the bakery. I have some cupcakes that need to be picked up for a party."

"Okay. What party?" I ask.

"Just something for church. It's Father's birthday. Get going."

I grab my keys off of the counter and get in my car. I've gotten better with driving these past few months. I'm not 100% okay with it yet, but I'll get there.

I buckle up and take a deep breath, starting the car and leaving before I regret it. I've started to forget the accident, but I can't help but replay it in my head sometimes.

I walk out of the Harry's house after a sleepover with Ella. We had a great time like usual. Ella, Vaughan, Liam and I played Mario Kart pretty much all night, so I'm tired. The kind of tired where you struggle to keep your eyes open.

They live on a busy street, so I'm sure to look both ways before crossing to my car. Traffic today is heavier than usual...weird. I step forward, off of the curb with a stumble.

"CHIARRA!" I hear Vaughan's voice from behind me.

Suddenly it's dark. Are my eyes closed? What happened?

I hear honking and the chatter of people. I try to open my eyes, and as light pours in I become aware of my surroundings.

Vaughan.

He holds me in his arms saying my name over and over.

"C'mon, Chiarra. You're okay. Open your eyes. I'm here" He pleads. I feel his strong arms around me, one on my face, tapping it lightly.

Mr. Harry lifts me from Vaughan's grip, laying me in the grass. I sit up on my elbows and rub my eyes. A sudden pain shoots up my leg.

"OW." I yelp, holding onto my leg. "What happened?"

"You were hit, honey. Not badly, but you were hit. Thank God Vaughan saw you in time to grab you before another car came. If only these tossers would LEARN HOW TO DRIVE." Mr. Harry says, getting louder towards the end to let the people know what he's thinking.

Wow. I was hit by a car, but I'm okay...all thanks to Vaughan.

I bring my focus back to the road, and pull into the parking lot of Sweets and Tits, my favorite bakery. I walk in and spot the usual staff working. A curly haired boy with a nametag that reads "Jack" works behind the counter. He's here all the time, and I'm usually greeted by him since I come here so often, but today he was distracted. Another boy works along side him with the nametag "Colin." I've never seen him before, let alone Jack working with someone else. They seem very close though. Looks like they could be dating, yet they also look like they hate each other. Strange. Jack swats Colin away and he takes a step back when they see me come in.

"Hi, what can I do for you?" Jack asks.

"Just picking up some cupcakes. Under the name Denise."

He shakes his head and tells Colin to take them out of the fridge. Colin rolls his eyes but walks to the back to get them. Out of nowhere, a loud crash comes from the back room. Jack's eyes widen and he runs to see what happened.

Before Jack can make it into the back, Colin reluctantly walks out, covered in yellow and blue icing.

"Uh, woops?" Colin says, cringing with embarrassment. Jack's eyes widen even more and I can visibly see the anger coming off of him. I quickly turn and get out of there before I have to stand here and watch two teenage boys fight in the middle of a bakery.

I run back to my car and sit in the driver's seat. Can't anything ever go right? I drive home and go straight up to my room, laying down on my bed. I'm there for not even a second when the doorbell rings. I get up and go downstairs, opening the door to...Liam?

"Hey, Liam. What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I have something to tell you."

"Listen, if this is about you and Vaughan, I already know. I fully support you guys. I think it's cute actually. I mean really it-"

"I'm moving too. To California...tomorrow." He cuts me off.

My mouth drops and I step out of the doorway, sitting on the front step of the porch. He moves and sits beside me.

"What?" I mumble, confused as ever.

"We've been thinking about it for a while now, and I guess it all fell into place today when I told my parents about me and Vaughan. They want us to be together, so we are moving too. I'm sorry for springing this on you. I know it's a lot."

"It's fine. That's really cool. You guys are gonna have a great time." I say. Liam's face looks suspicious at my answer, but I won't have him questioning me. I'm happy for them. Silence washes over us but Liam stares at me. It's like his eyes were stuck on mine. The space between us is small, and both of us freeze where we are.

"Okay...well that's all I had to tell you. I'll see you tomorrow at the airport." He says after a few seconds before getting up and leaving.

I stay where I am on the porch and take a deep breath. My three favorite people moving across the country together. Great. At least it can't get much worse than this.

Later that day

I dig through piles and piles of junk in my closet, throwing things all over the floor. I tear apart folded clothes and boxes of things I haven't seen in years. If my mom walked in right now, she would think I've gone off the wire. Well actually I kinda have, but it's for a good reason.

After searching every last inch of my room, I am about ready to give up, I sit on the edge of my bed and sigh, looking at the mess I've created. As my eyes scan the room, I notice a tiny gold point sticking out of the pocket of a coat in my closet. I get up and go straight to it, reaching my hand in and pulling out a key.

"Oh thank the Lord up above!" I yell, loud enough for my dad to call up and tell me to quiet down. Of course I find what I'm looking for in the easiest of all places.

I set the key next to me and text Ella.

"You. Vaughan. Liam. Get over here NOW!!" I type and send immediately.

"Why?" She replies.

"Don't ask questions, but bring a shovel."