Chapter 10 - The first kiss

Ben and Stella were sitting on the poolside. They were both wet from swimming, but the inside of their bodies were on fire with lust. Each second their lips came closer and closer. Stella's heart pumped so hard it felt like it was going to push through her chest.

Ben's phone buzzed and just like that, the moment was gone. It bursted like a bubble. They both looked at the screen. Tessa's name and a picture of her kissing Ben covered the screen. Ben jumped up, dried his hands on a towel and answered the phone.

Shame washed over Stella. She jumped back in the pool and hid her red cheeks under the water. Even though she was floating beneath the surface she could still see the blurry outlines of Winston on the edge of the pool. Ben's shadow came up behind him. She was running out air so she swam up.

"I have to go," Ben said. He looked troublesome. Stella swam closer to him and nodded. "I'm sorry."

She didn't know what to answer. She wanted him to stay, to pull him down in the pool with her and kiss him, but she didn't. Instead she watched as he got dressed.

Ben's body looked sculptured in stone and his tan lines like paint. She knew it was wrong, but she couldn't tear her eyes from him. And besides, he didn't even try to hide. I'm not crazy. He feels it too. I know he does.

When Ben drove away Stella felt lonely. Not even Winston could cheer her up. Before Alvik she was alone almost all the time, but thanks to Winston she never felt lonely. But Ben's sunshine was too bright for her to handle. When he left, everything became cold and dark.

Stella got up from the pool and grabbed her phone. She sat down on one of the sun beds and clicked up Tristan's phone number. Winston jumped up on her lap. Do I really like him or is he just a substitute for Ben? Does it matter? Ben is my brother and has a girlfriend, I can't be with him. She clicked "call".

"Hey," Tristan said with a surprised voice.

"Hi! Is this a bad time?"

"No, I was just surprised. Don't you know people don't call nowadays. They just text. I didn't even recognise my ringtone."

Shit. It's so obvious I'm a loser with no friends.

"Oh... I'm sorry. Should I hang up and text?"

"No," Tristan laughed. "I'm happy you called. I've missed your voice."

She loved his laugh. It made her smile. Of course I really like Tristan. He is a dream come true.

"Do you want to meet up?"

"Yeah. Can I come pick you up or should we meet at the usual spot?"

"The usual spot."

Stella ran up to her bedroom. Now, after a shopping spree with her mom, her walk-in-closet was full. Ed had made them promise not to come back unless they had at least ten bags with them. Diana had no problem making sure they kept that problem.

She usually wore her old clothes when she was with Tristan, but tonight she wanted to look extra nice. She wanted him to fall in love with her. After going through her new dresses for a third time she chose a white and sweet summer dress. Unlike most of her new clothes it didn't scream expensive. She hoped Tristan would like it.

When Stella came down the stairs she saw Ed and Diana sitting in the living room. They were in the middle of planning what flowers they should have at the wedding. They looked sweet and bubbly, like loved-up teenagers.

"Hey honey," Diana said. "Where are you going looking so nice?"

She didn't want to tell them about Tristan, but she was an awful liar. Besides, she wanted to leave Winston at the house.

"I have a date."

"What?" Diana jumped up from the sofa. "That's amazing. With who?"

"Calm down," Ed said and calmly stood up next to her.

"With Tristan," Stella laughed. "A guy from Alvik. I met him a few days ago when I was walking Winston."

"That's lovely, tell me more."

"I will, but not right now. I'm running late. Could you please watch Winston?"

"Of course," Ed said. "I hope you have a lovely evening. And call us if there's anything. Anything at all."

As always, Tristan was already waiting for Stella when she arrived at their meeting place. He looked at her with big eyes and an open mouth, as if he didn't believe his own eyes. She wondered if it was because of the dress or because Winston wasn't with her. Probably both.

"Hey," Stella said when she reached him.

"Hey," he said and gave her a long hug. "You look really nice. Like a dream."

Tristan was always sweet and honest. He didn't play any games. He was nothing like Ben. He didn't get any mysterious calls, disappeared in the middle of things and he didn't switch moods in the matter of seconds. The only thing they had in common was that they both made her knees weak. They were like a drug she couldn't get enough of.

"Thank you. And thank you for meeting up with me. I hope you're not disappointed that I didn't bring Winston?"

"I like Winston, but you're my favourite. But don't tell him I said that."

"I promise," Stella laughed.

"I'm really happy you called. I have something special planned for us. There's a place I want to show you."

"I thought you showed me all the special places on our first date?"

"I saved this one. I wasn't sure I could trust you yet. Come on."

Tristan only drew for a short while before he turned into a small road in the forest. It was almost overgrown, Stella hadn't even noticed it before.

"Are you sure we're allowed to drive here," she asked.

"Don't worry. We're almost there now. Close your eyes, I want to surprise you."

Stella did as Tristan asked. The road was so bumpy it felt like a rollercoaster. She could feel a sharp turn and then the car stopped.

"Can I look now?" Stella asked.

"Not yet." Tristan said and got out from the car. He opened the passenger seat's door and helped Stella out. She was bubbling with curiosity. He led her a few steps. She could feel the fresh, evening wind in her hair and hear the sound of waves hitting cliffs. "Okay. Now you can look."

They were standing on a cliff overlooking the ocean. There was nothing but water until the horizon. The sun was setting, colouring the sky like a fire. Next to them was an old, white lighthouse with plants climbing up its walls. It was like they were inside a painting.

"Tristan," Stella whispered, "it's breathtaking."

"I found it by accident one time when I was looking for my brother. I go here when I need to clear my thoughts. Actually, the day you found me I was on my way here when my car died."

Stella took Tristan's hand. She had never seen anything more pure or beautiful. The soft light made it feel like a sweet dream.

"Thank you for bringing me."

Tristan took a step closer to Stella. She turned towards him. Their bodies were almost touching. He carefully put a strand of hair behind her ear and caressed her cheek. She could feel his breath on her lips. Stella wanted to kiss him. She had never wanted anything more in her life. His lips were so close, but touching them felt impossible.

"I'm falling for you Stella."

Those words were all she needed. She closed her eyes and pressed her lips towards his. They felt soft and as if they were made for kissing her. He put one hand on the back of her head, the other on her lover back and pushed her closer to him. Their bodies melted together.