Chapter 17 - Stella's first time

It was almost midnight. Winston was sound asleep in his bed in the corner of the room, but Stella laid wide awake in the bed staring at the clock. She was in too much pain to fall asleep. Her heart was broken and dreams crushed.

The fact that Tristan was Max's younger brother made it impossible for them to be a couple. Max hated Ben enough to threaten Stella at gunpoint. She could not imagine all of them spending Christmas together anytime soon. Besides, Tristan probably didn't even care about her. It was more likely that he pretended to like her in order to get closer to Ben.

Stella couldn't stop hoping that there was some kind of an explanation. His kind eyes, genuine questions and sweet kisses - was it all fake? No, it had to be real... I know it was real... Or wasn't it? Could there be an explanation? No, it's impossible.

Tristan sent her a text a few hours ago, but she hadn't answered. He wanted to meet up and explain the situation. He promised that it was a misunderstanding and that he really cared about her. She wanted to believe him and hear his version, but she had also promised Ben to not be in contact wit him.

Even if their relationship was a lie, she wanted to hear him say it. In that case she wanted an apology and the possibility to scream at him. But if Ben found out that they met up, he would lose his mind. He had already beaten Tristan black and blue, next time he might not let him walk away alive.

The clock turned twelve. She walked up to her window and looked towards the gate. It was pitch dark and she couldn't see anything. She wondered if he didn't come since she didn't answer. Just as she was about to go back to her bed when her phone buzzed. It was Tristan again, the text said "I'm here. Please come out. I want to explain".

Stella was afraid, she couldn't help but wonder if it was Max waiting for her, but she had to meet Tristan one last time. If she didn't, she knew she'd regret it forever. She put on her white, silk robe, and sneaked out from her room.

Her heart was beating hard as a hammer and loud as a drum. Each little sound felt like a scream in the quiet house, but she still managed to get out without being noticed. Before she opened the front door she pushed in 911 on her phone, just in case.

The night was dark, but the stars shed some light on the yard. Stella could see the outlines of Tristan by the gate. Even though she couldn't see any details, she knew it was him. She was relieved, but still kept the emergency number on her phone in case Max was hiding in the bushes.

Tristan ran up and hugged Stella. She didn't know how to react. She knew she should push him away, but his embrace was so warm and comforting that she fell right into his arms.

"I'm so sorry," Tristan cried. "I was so afraid you wouldn't come. You're the only good thing in my life. I'm so sorry."

It was painful to hear him cry, but his words were like sweet music to Stella. She wanted to believe him with all of her heart.

"Come," Stella whispered. "We can't stay here. They might see us from the window. Let's go to the gazebo. It's not visible from their bedroom windows."

Stella took Tristan's hand and led him to the gazebo. It was hard to navigate in the dark. The grass was wet and the air cool. The short walk felt like a mile. A million thoughts and feelings fought inside of Stella. She tried to clear them out, but it was impossible.

When they reached the gazebo Tristan sat down on the couch. Stella lit a candle and sat down next to him. Although the light was soft, she was finally able to see his face clearly. He was bruised and battered, she barely recognised him.

Stella couldn't keep her tears from falling. Seeing Tristan's sweet and innocent face bloody and bruised was torture. His lip was cracked and one eye so swollen he couldn't open it. She wanted to caress him, but was afraid that even just the lightest touch would hurt.