Chapter 26 - A killing shot

"Hello beautiful," Max said with a vicious smile while leaning his arm on the open car window. Winston was growling and showing his sharp teeth.

Stella was having a hard time to breathe. It felt like someone was stabbing her heart on the same time they were squeezing her throat. She tried to hide her feelings behind a smile.

"I'm sorry, I thought you were someone else."

"I know sweetie," Max pulled up Tristan's phone from his pocket and whistled.

Stella didn't think she could feel worse, but when she saw the phone it was as if the invisible knife in her heart was twisted. She took a deep breath and tried to keep calm. Tears were burning in her eyes, but she refused to let them fall. She cleared her throat and asked:

"Where's Tristan? Why do you have his phone?"

"He's home waiting for you. Come on, jump in."

Max's voice was sweet, just like honey-water that loured bees to a certain death. Stella's heart was racing. She was worried about Tristan, but terrified about what would happen if she got in the car with Max. Her body was shivering. Maybe if she could just stall the time, just maybe, someone from the party would come driving and see them.

"I'm sorry I can't. It's my mom's wedding. I need to go back. They are all waiting for me. I said I'd just take Winston for a short walk. They'll start wondering if I won't come back soon."

"In that dress I almost thought it was your wedding day."

Max thoroughly soaked in every inch of Stella's body, it made her skin crawl. Winston didn't like it either. He barked and showed his teeth.

"Could you please ask Tristan to call me when you see him," Stella asked with a fake, sweet voice.

"Nah, I think it's better that you tell yourself." Max started to sound irritated.

"I'm sorry, I can't."

"I'm not asking you to get in the car, I'm telling you to get in the fucking car." Max pulled up a gun and pointed it straight at Stella. It felt like the ground beneath her disappeared. Winston started to bark and growl even louder. "Get in and tell your dog to shut up!"

It felt like the world was spinning. Stella tried to say no, but couldn't get any word out of her mouth. All she could do was shake her head. Max's eyes were dilated and his forehead was covered with small sweat pearls. The two big veins on his neck were throbbing.

Stella could still vaguely hear the music from the wedding party. She prayed that someone from the party would hear Winston and come and save them. Each second felt like an eternity. She could see Max getting more and more rabid, but even if she wanted to get in the car she couldn't, her body was paralysed with fear.

"Please," Stella was able to squeeze out. Her voice was weak and crackled. "I beg you."

Max turned the gun towards Winston and shot. A massive and ear-deafening bang echoed through the forest and was followed by a defenseless and frail squeal. Winston fell to the ground and bright, red blood started to encircle his body. Stella screamed and fell over his lifeless body. The scream was heartbreaking, shrill and agonising. She was crying so violently it felt as if she was about to throw up all of her innards.

"Please," Stella begged Winston. "Please don't leave me. I can't do this without you. You're my best friend. I beg you, please don't leave me. I need you"

Max got out from the car and slammed the door behind him. His movements were rash and annoyed. He grabbed Stella by the hair and started to drag her away from Winston. She refused. She kicked, screamed and tried to push him away, but it was no use. She felt a hit to the temple and everything went black.