Chapter 25 - The wrong brother

There wasn't a dry eye at the wedding ceremony when the priest told Ed to kiss his bride. He wrapped her in his arms and gave her a tender and loving kiss. Everyone cheered with joy and the band started playing an up-beat love song. The newlyweds started dancing down the aisle between the chairs in the garden. The guests stood up and threw rice up in the air while the bridesmaids and best men danced after Ed and Diana.

Stella felt like she was soaring and felt the music move her body. When she danced past Viola she grabbed her hand. She laughed and joined Stella. They waved at Jasper and Josephine to join them and it didn't take long before all of the guests were up dancing.

When the ceremony was done Ed and Diana sneaked away to take their wedding photos while the guests mingled in the garden. Harper and Andrew, two of Ed's oldest children, held a quiz to entertain the guests.

Stella kept close to Jasper and his family. Now that Winston was also allowed outside, Viola and some other of Ed's grandchildren were playing with him. They pet him, threw sticks and even sneaked him some bacon from the kitchen. He was definitely in dog heaven.

"We are so excited to have you and Tristan staying with us," Josephine said to Stella while cradling her youngest son. Even though there was music, loud talking and laughing in the background, the boy was just a few seconds away from falling asleep. His eyelids were already half way down.

"Are you sure it's okay?"

"Yes," Josephine laughed as if it was the most ridiculous question she'd ever heard. "Of course it's okay. We're happy to have you. Especially Viola, she is over the moon. She loves you and has been begging us for a dog forever."

"I'm really grateful. You and Jasper are really like my guardian angels."

Jasper put his arm around Stella and kissed her forehead.

"We're family."

Tessa was wearing a tight, blue dress that highlighted her curvy body in the best way possible. Her skin was glistering in the sunlight, almost demanding attention. She was glued to Ben's side during the entire mingle and made sure that they were seated next to each other at the dinner table.

During the dinner all of Ed's children held a speech. Some of them as a group and some of them, like Ben, held it alone. All of them welcomed Diana to the family and praised Ed to the skies. It wasn't strange that they didn't talk as much about Diana, they barely knew her. Ben talked some more about Diana, and he even mentioned Stella, but not even he had spent enough time with her to give her a heartfelt speech.

By each speech Stella felt the expectations on her to stand up and clink her glass growing, but every cell in her shy body told her not to do it. The thought terrified her, not even the champagne helped. When dessert was served Stella could see disappointment in her mom's eyes. She hid it behind a perfect smile, but Stella knew.

When all the dessert plates and coffee cups were empty Stella realised it was now or never. She took a deep breath, stood up and clinked her glass. Everyone turned their attention to her and she froze. She had no idea what to say, her mind was blank. She tried finding comfort with Ben, but Tessa clinging to his body ruined it. Bug then she saw her mom, and the excitement sparkling in her eyes, and the words started flowing.

"I would like to make a toast to the newlyweds." She cleared her throat. "Listening to all the amazing speeches and hearing all the lovely words about Ed makes my heart warm. I'm so grateful to be part of your family. Ed, you're my first dad and I couldn't have wished for anyone better. You make me and my mom very happy. I would also like to take this opportunity to welcome all of you to our small family. We're not that many, but with mom it sometimes feels like we're a small village." The crowd chuckled. "She's fun, charming, kind and sometimes a bit crazy. Above all mom, you're a fighter. It's been tough for us, more or less a constant uphill battle. No, that's not enough, an uphill battle in a tornado is more correct. But you've always had a smile on your face and a joke or two to lighten the mood. I love you mom." Stella raised her glass in a toast and everyone else did the same. "To Ed and Diana, I wish you all the best, you deserve nothing less."

The guests applauded and Diana mouthed "thank you" with tears in her eyes. Stella felt proud of herself. She had overcome one of her biggest fears. If someone would have told her that she would voluntarily hold a speech in front of an ocean of perfect people, she would never have believed it.

The sun was setting and dinner was ending. The waiters came and took away all the empty dishes and started to move the tables. The wedding singer asked the guests to gather around the dance floor. Stella got a lump in her stomach. She knew it was time for the first dance and that she was going to have to watch Ben and Tessa dance with the rest of her family while she would have to stand on the side with the grandchildren. It would be both painful and humiliating.

Ed took Diana by the hand and led her to the middle of the dance floor. They both were gloving with love and looked just like a king and a queen in a fairytale. The band reached the chorus and Ed's children joined them, just like they'd practiced during the rehearsal dinner. Jasper took Josephine's hand and led her to the floor, which made Stella alone. She was just about to go to the bar when Ben walked up to her.

"May I have this dance?" He asked and reached out his hand.

Just like Ed looked like a king, Ben appeared in front of Stella like a knight in charming armour.

"What about Tessa?"

"What about her?"

He had a mischievous and charming twinkle in his eyes. He was irresistible. She took his hand and a big smile spread across her face. Not even Tessa's killing look scared her. When they reached the middle of the dance floor he laid his left hand on her lower back, took her right hand in his and pulled her close. A rush of excitement went through Stella's body. She put her left hand on his shoulder.

"I don't know how to dance," she whispered in his ear.

"Don't worry, just follow my motions." Their bodies moved as one to the rhythm of the music. She didn't feel like a girl anymore, she felt like a woman. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you. You look very handsome."

"When I saw you walk down the aisle my heart skipped a beat. I imagined that it was our wedding. One day I'll make you my wife, I know it in my heart. I wish I could kiss you right here, right now."

Stella could barely believe that someone was saying such beautiful words to her, especially not someone like Ben. Even though she should hate Ben, the sweet words melted her heart. She didn't know what to answer, so she simply held him tighter and rested her head on his chest.

Stella was confused. In a few hours she was going to break Ben's heart by running away with Tristan. He was her soulmate, she had no doubt about that, but now she was getting cold feet.

The song ended. Before letting go off each other Stella and Ben looked into each other's eyes. Now she also wanted to kiss. She curbed her urge and said:

"I need to take Winston for a short walk. I'll see you soon."

Stella hurried away from the dance floor back into the house. When the door closed behind her she fell to the ground. I need to see Tristan. Everything will be okay once I'm in his arms. I just need to see him. Stella sent him a text to meet up and he answered immediately.

Viola and some of the other kids were playing with Winston again. Stella didn't want to ruin their fun, but a walk with Winston was the only credible excuse for her to leave the party.

Before walking away, Stella told Jasper the true reason she was leaving. In case she was gone for a longer period she didn't want him to worry. He said it was okay but that she had to come back before midnight because that's when they were leaving.

The same second Stella closed the gate behind her and started walking along the gravel road in the forest with Winston her mind was calming down. She realised that her walks with Winston were her favourite part of the day. He was her best friend and his playful and happy energy always made her smile.

Stella saw Tristan's red truck approaching earlier than usual. Even though she could barely see the car because of all the dust her heart already felt lighter. Strangely he was driving faster than usual. Winston who usually barked with excitement every time he met Tristan ran in front of her in a defensive position and growled. An eerie feeling spread through her body.

The car stopped next to her and the dust lowered. It felt like the ground beneath Stella disappeared. Instead of Tristan, it was Max sitting in the car. He smiled and chills crawled up her spine.