Chapter 21 - The move

It was early morning and the sun was fighting its way over the horizon, painting the sky pink. Stella was sitting on the balcony watching the day come to life while waiting for the clock to become eight so she could go and meet Tristan.

It had been two days since Ben broke up with Tessa. That was the same day that Stella told Jasper the truth about everything. She hadn't told Tristan about the situation. When she was with him she felt at peace and she didn't want to ruin the short moments they had together. It felt like she walked around with an overbearing weight on her shoulder that only Tristan's presence could release her from.

Ben, as always, was very busy with his business, but he also made time for Stella. They swam, ate and watched movies. When nobody was around to see them they kissed. He wanted to sleep together but Stella said that it was too risky. They had decided to keep their romance a secret, at least until the wedding. Even though they weren't blood related, people would definitely frown at their feelings for each other.

Stella often kissed Ben to keep up the charade and keep him calm and happy, but sometimes she also kissed him because she wanted to. He always made her smile and gave her compliments, which sometimes made her forget all of the bad things he was doing. It was hard to understand how the guy that made her feel on top of the world was the same guy that assaulted her boyfriend and sold illegal drugs.

After her morning walk and breakfast date with Tristan, Stella waited for Ben to wake up. Around ten he finally came to the kitchen. Ed and Diana were at the country club, so they were alone in the house.

"Good morning sleepy head," Stella said and poured him a cup of coffee.

"Morning Stells," Ben answered as he took the cup from her. He looked around to see if anyone was around them and then gave her a light kiss.

He was only wearing boxers and she could not resist looking at his sculpted body. His hair was messy and eyes blurry, which made him look irresistibly cozy.

"Hey," Stella said while watching him eat breakfast. "Can I come with you to the office today?"

"You know I don't want you there."

"Please? Mom and Ed are at the country club and you don't want me to be alone outside the house, I'll be bored. I don't need to work, I just don't want to be alone."

"I'll check if Aimee or Francis is there. Then you can come and hang out with them."

"Aren't they Tessa's minions? I'm sure she's ordered them to hate me."

Ben laughed and kissed Stella's forehead.

"Yes and no. Tessa doesn't know I broke up with her because of you, so you don't have to worry."

Ben made a call to the office and Aimee answered, so after he'd eaten up and taken a shower they both walked over there. He even let Winston come along. This time Stella tried to memorise the path. She wanted to know the location in case the police needed evidence.

When they arrived at the office Aimee was already outside waiting for them. She hugged them with a big smile on her face and then sat down to say hello to Winston as well. Ben continued into the office while Stella stayed outside. Aimee suggested that they'd take Winston for a walk. Stella assumed that Ben had texted her that idea before they arrived, which annoyed her, but she still nodded.

Aimee had no problem coming up with things to talk about. She talked about upcoming parties, about her latest shopping spree and a lot about Kian, which made Stella suspect an unrequited love. But Aimee kept away from all sensitive areas, like Max and the business.