Chapter 2. Velcome Back, Scarlet

Rain poured over the gutters, splashing off my umbrella

Rain poured over the gutters, splashing off my umbrella. My soggy boots, made of fake suede, had zero weather protection. I left work early because the drizzle always guided me into not wanting to focus. Like my Aunt Susan, a bad climate always made my hip hurt.

A little car zoomed by me as I watched it park next to my apartment building. Roy jumped out without noticing my presence. Why was he at my apartment? Did his hip hurt too?

He glanced around, pulling his baseball hat lower to cover his face. Roy opened the trunk of his car, rearranging something heavy. The car bounced on the bald tires as he maneuvered something in a black garbage bag.

With a skip, I rushed up behind him, putting my hands on his hips, trying to scare him.

"What are you doing?" I asked in a deeper voice. I looked down and saw red all over the back of his car.

I widened my eyes while he slammed the trunk closed. "What happened?" I asked him.

"Scar, you scared me," he replied nervously. "I spilled paint while at-"

His mouth was moving, but beeping noises, like a microwave, echoed from his lips.

"What?" I faintly asked.

The world faded away as the sounds of beeping machines had my eyes slowly opening to the bright light above me. The light moved away quickly as a blonde guy with glasses leaned over me. He pushed his glasses up his nose, scrunching his eyebrows together. The blurry vision of his face became visible as his crooked teeth beamed at me.

I knew I must be in hell because my heaven would not be this man. It would had been Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, or Chris Pine. Wait, no, definitely, Chris Hemsworth. Yes, Thor could save me from a bad guy any day.

"Velcome back, Scarlet," he said with a German accent, making my daydream of Thor disappear into this man in front of me. He wiggled his nose while looking at the surrounding computers.

I sat up quickly, hitting my head on the light. "Where am I at?" I asked with a hoarse voice. I glanced around, seeing tubes emerging from every direction, connecting to my body.

"Um gottes willen!" the man yelled in an unfamiliar language, placing his hands on my shoulders. Now that the light shined away from him, I could see his hair was auburn-colored, matching his brown eyes.

"Vay down, Scarlet." His voice was smooth but very hard to understand as he sounded like he was replacing the letter V with most of the alphabet.

I was too weak to fight his strength, which forced me back down on the cold table. My memories faded back to me, picturing Roy digging through a backpack and chasing me with a knife. An apple knocked me out to nothingness.

My heart raced faster, causing beeping noises to pick up, echoing in the darkroom. The man quickly paced around like a nervous teenager picking up his date, knowing her dad was one of those types that threaten you with, hurt my daughter, and I'll hurt you. Once he found what he was looking for, he walked up next to me without making eye contact.