Chapter 11. Apple Red

The lightning struck in the distance, igniting the dark streets

The lightning struck in the distance, igniting the dark streets. The rain poured down as I ran down the road barefoot. I tripped over the curb, landing on my palms but sliding back to my feet.

Jumping over a railing, I dashed into the restaurant. The hostess eyed me, tilting her head.

"Excuse me. You will need shoes," the lady said, but I waved my arms around while she glared at me.

"I'm sorry," I pointed at her book. "Is there a Roy on the list for tonight?"

She rolled her eyes. "I can't-" she said, but I pulled her book from her, shoving her to the ground.

"Sorry, I don't have time for bitchy woman," I said, scanning the list.

I bounced from name to name, not seeing his. I threw the list back on her table, rushing out of the place before she called the police.

I stepped out, frustrated with the world. Glancing around, I had zero clue where Roy would take Alice. Dieter's intel told him here, but why was he not here?

A red light caught my attention, flashing in a pattern. Across the street was an apartment. The brick abandoned building covered in years of ivy. Very often, the police would escort the homeless out of this building, or the news would report a drug bust on the main floor.

The red light turned off, then flashed back on before a shadow walked across a window. Thunder roared around me while I crossed the street. My bare toes would dip into the running water with every step, freezing to the touch but not the soul.

I gripped the ladder to the fire escape, climbing to the red light. The metal bars squeaked with every step, telling me how old the building was. As I reached the window, I peeked, seeing a lamp in the middle of an empty room. Someone placed a red cloth over the light, making the room glow maroon.

I pulled my mask from my back pocket, placing it on my face. The window glass stuck to my palms while I slid it open. Quietly, I ducked into the empty room, crouching beneath the sill.

A scratch caught my attention, looking over to see Alice tied to a chair with a rope over her mouth. Her eyes met mine, freaking her out. She cried under the gag, wiggling as much as possible.

I kept to the wall, creeping closer to her. The material muffled her voice while she tried talking to me. I untied the rope, freeing her mouth.

"He's still here," she whispered, causing my breath to hitch.

"Apple Red," his voice was low from the other side of the room. "Finally, a pleasure to meet the one after me."

I pulled at the rope on the chair, trying to free Alice. She panicked, wiggling too much for me. My palm touched her thigh as I looked up at her.

"You need to stop moving," I said calmly before ripping the rope.

She cried while I wrapped my arm under her armpit. I guided her to the window, letting her go. Alice stopped on the outside, looking in at me. I shook my head, telling her what she was thinking.