Chapter 3. Doodle Bear

The dark sky was above us as cold froze my breath

The dark sky was above us as cold froze my breath. I stumbled forward, grabbing Dieter's arm for balance. He turned to look at me, causing the moonlight to shine on his face. The pine trees shadowed us, blocking out most of the night.

"Sorry," I said, pulling my hand away from his arm. "I tripped over a rock."

"Red," he said smoothly, sealing my new name. "I don't think vou realize how powerful your new body is."

I stepped back, waving my arms in the air, mocking him with an accent. "Ved, you don't vnow how powerful vour vody is." I stomped around, then glared at him. "You took me out here in the chilly woods just to tell me something I already know." I motioned down to my new body. "Mr. build a bear is now voicing his opinion about the endless shit I don't know." I stepped closer to him. My face was only inches away. I looked down at his lips and then whispered. "You can now continue."

Dieter huffed out in anger. "Woman," he said while turning around and walking away from me. "You save vhem, and what do you get out of it?" he questioned toward the sky. "Them velling at you like you are the one that villed them."

I rolled my eyes, then stepped abruptly forward, bringing my palms to his back and shoving him to the ground. "Fuck you!" I yelled at him. "And the word is killed."

He rolled around, kicking my legs out from under me. I landed hard on the ground as my right pointer finger bent backward in an awkward position with a pop sound. I looked down to see it completely fell off, rolling away from me towards Dieter.

He scrambled on the ground toward it. "Vorry, Red," he said, grabbing it.

I brought my palm closer to my face and looked at my hand with only four fingers on it. There was zero blood, and there was zero pain. My finger just fell off like I'm some lizard that loses body parts when attacked by a predator.

"Red, there is a lot I still need to explain to you." Dieter stood up from the ground, pocketing my finger, saying that sentence superbly.

I sat on the wet ground with a leaf stuck to my cheek. Dieter was looking around, trying to figure out where we were. I laughed at him as he gave me a concerned expression. When he pulled off his glasses, I laughed even harder. How did I get myself into the situation? I was in the woods with some mad scientist, lost, trying to bring us God knows where, and to add to it, I'm a zombie with my body falling apart right in front of me.

"Vhy you laughing?" he asked me, crouching down closer with his hand out. "Vere, let me help you up."

I grabbed his hand with my now four-fingered palm as he pulled me off the ground. He turned around and started on his way, walking into the darkness. I followed behind him in silence until an apple tree came into view. I knew then where he was taking me.

I shoved past him, pushed him to the ground, and kept walking toward the apple tree. "Why didn't you just tell me?" I asked over my shoulder as he scrambled on the ground.