{13}

They see me and smirk, but Laurent looks at them to stay quiet. He then holds up our baseball.

"I believe this belongs to you." he says, passing it to Carlisle, who catches it with ease.

"Thank you." Carlisle says.

"I'm Laurent. This is Victoria. And James." Laurent says, eyeing me.

I grip Jasper's arm and he gives me a calm feeling. For once, I don't try to fight it.

"I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us." Carlisle says.

"Our apologies. We didn't realize the territory had been claimed." Laurent says.

"Yes, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Carlisle explains.

"Really? Well, we won't be a problem any more." Laurent says, surprised.

"The humans were tracking us, but we led them East." Victoria said smugly.

"Could you use three more players?" Laurent asks.

"Of course. A few of us were leaving anyway." Carlisle says.

"Great!" Laurent says, smirking at me.

Jasper suddenly blocks Laurent's view of me and I let out a sigh. Carlisle passes the ball and Victoria is quick to catch it.

"I'm the one with the wicked curve ball." she says.

"Oh, I'm sure we can handle that." Jasper says, looking at Emmett.

Everyone starts to disperse, but the wind blows Bella's hair towards James. James slowly turns around, taking in Bella's scent.

"You brought a snack," he says.

Edward quickly jumps in front of Bella and hisses. That sets off a chain reaction and I grab onto Bella and put her behind me.

 That sets off a chain reaction and I grab onto Bella and put her behind me

"Go on, Y/N. Bite her." Victoria says with a smirk.

"No. I won't be fooled by you guys again!" I yell, anger and hurt mixed in with my voice.

"The girl is with us." Carlisle says.

"I think it would be best if you leave." I hissed.

"Yes, I can see the game is over. We'll go now. James?" Laurent says.

But James' eyes don't leave Edward's. Laurent puts a hand on James' shoulder and he snaps back next to Victoria, putting his arm around her. I sigh and look away from everyone, not wanting to look at them. As soon as Bella is in the jeep, I run to my cabin, but I don't make it. Victoria lunges at me and holds me against a tree.

"You were always so soft. Too nice for your own good." she said.

"At least I feel safe here." I say, angry.

Victoria laughs before slamming me against the tree again.

"Do you really think they will accept you after they learn the truth about your past?" she asks.

Fear runs through me as I start struggling against her.

"I never want to do it!" I yell.

"But you did!" Victoria said with a smirk.

She throws me against another tree, but before she can get closer to me, Jasper and Alice are in front of me. They hiss at Victoria, who quickly leaves. Jasper turns around and goes to touch me, but I move away from his touch. Hurt passes through his eyes as he looks at me.

"Y/N, we won't hurt you. I promise. What they did to you doesn't define who you are." Jasper whispers to me.

Alice leaves and Jasper reaches out his hand again. I slowly take it and Jasper pulls me up to my feet. I go to dust myself off, but Jasper pulls me into a hug. I slowly hugged him back, burying my face into his shoulder.

"I promised you that I would be by your side, everyday." Jasper whispers as he moves hair out of my face. "And I meant what I said."

"I realize that now... I'm sorry." I whisper.

Jasper pulls away from the hug, but still stands closer to me. He grabs my hand and we make our way to his house. I freeze when I see Laurent leave the house. Jasper is quick to put himself between Laurent and I. I watch as Laurent nods at Jasper before leaving. Jasper grabs my hand and we rush inside.

"Ah, Y/N. I think it's best if she stays here with us." Carlisle says when he sees me.

"No. If James or Victoria catch her, she'll be dead." Jasper said, looking over at me.

I give him a small smile.

"It's a risk I'm willing to take. Less the people with Bella, the less James will suspect her leaving." I say.

As we get ready, Jasper pulls me aside. Worry is in his eyes and I smile. I give him a quick hug before putting on one of Bella's jackets. I watch as Jasper, Bella, and Alice leave. I just hope I made the right choice. Carlisle looks at me and I nod. We then run out of the garage, ready to try and lead James away from Bella. I end up telling Carlisle to go with Esme. I continue running alone, but I sense Victoria near me. I spin around and land a punch on Victoria's jaw. It cracks and she looks at me with a smirk.

"Oh, this will be fun." she says.

We lunge at each other just as a roll of thunder sounds.