ii. fate's torn string

chapter two!
fate's torn string

    BEFORE TODAY, Nina Hart never paid much attention to Peter Parker. She saw him in the halls, watched him dart by on his skateboard with his camera dangling from his neck. But apart from that, she never really took it upon herself to get to know him. But after the fight at lunch today, she was intriguedshe never expected him to stand up against Flash like he had; or take several hits to the stomach.

    As she waited for class, sitting in her usual seat with her textbook out and her pen in her fingers, Nina carefully held a gaze on Peter Parker as he entered. When she thought he'd seen her, she averted her gaze, pursing her lips and wondering why she wanted to say somethingand what she'd even say. They've never spoken before today. In fact, did he even know her name?

    Nina glanced over her shoulder again briefly. He sat down at the empty desk behind her and she tensed up. In baggy jeans and a baggy, beige jacket, he kicked his school bag and board underneath the desk with loosely-laced sneakers. Thankfully, he was yet to notice how she watched him, trying to find the courage to say the first word she's ever spoken to him since their entire high school career.

    He placed his broken camera onto his desk and hunched over, supporting some bruises on the jaw and under his eye. Nina quickly looked away again, feeling rather flushed over the thought of being caught.

    But he saw.

    Peter Parker frowned; brows furrowing behind rectangle glasses. Nina flushed again. She pursed her lipsshe had been caught out.

    Fiddling with her pen, she lowered her voice and whispered to him, "Um ... I just ... I just wanted to say that ... well, I thought that was great ... what you did."

    Peter's brows lifted, a little surprised. He didn't say anythingshocked that Nina was even speaking to him. She awkwardly tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "II mean," she went on, clearing her throat, "It was stupid, butlikealso great."

    He still stared at her. Nina's embarrassment was starting to fall away, and in replacement, was a flicker of amusement. Peter watched her intentlylike she was a picture ready to be taken. He analysed the lights of her eyes, the shadows of her hair, the tint of her cheeks. It made her breath a soft smile.

    "Surely you didn't hit the ground too hard?" she joked, the smile turning into a little, gentle smirk. "Maybe you should go to the nurse, see if you have a concussion."

    Peter's mouth fell agape, as if he wanted to say something, but couldn't get the words out. Nina quirked a brow, chuckling. She couldn't help but think it was kind of cute how struck he was all of the sudden. "What's your name?" she continued.

    He frowned yet again. "You don't know my name?" he murmured, sounding breathless.

    Nina stifled her giggles, tapping the cap of her pen against her cheek. He was so out of it. "Yeah, of course, I know your name. I was wondering whether you know your name?"

    Peter's lips twitched into an awkward smile. He pushed the bridge of his glasses anxiously up his noise. "PPeter," he said. He kept staring and she tilted her head, fighting another giggle. He blinked and shook his head. "Parker," he added. "Peter Parker."

    "Okay, okay," she chuckled. Such a dork. "That's good, then." Turning back around, she tapped her pen once again against her cheek. Another thought crossed her mind. She didn't know why she wanted to talk to him more, but she didmaybe because he looked so amusing being so surprised; he was cute. Very cute. And now that she took a moment to realise and talk to him, she found it all rather endearing.