xlvi. life changes

chapter forty-six
life changes

    SPIDER-MAN hadn't shown up at Nina's window for a few days. The neighbourhood web-slinger had made it his nightly routine to visit her, joking and making her smile from where he sat at her fire escape. After her argument and falling out with Peter at John's award celebration, she had wanted to see the superhero. She had wanted something to brighten her nights. She wanted to hear his gruff Spider-Cop voice and tell her exciting adventures about the crooks he 'busted' in the streets. But just like Peter had disappeared out of her life so suddenly, so had Spider-Man.

    Nina tried to keep on moving. She tried to forget. She had a lot to focus on. Now that MJ was engaged, she had a wedding to help prepare. Along with her maid of honour duties, Nina Hart had to continue her studies. Her presentation through John's ecstatic regard had grabbed the attention of experienced researchers through his astronomical work. Now, instead of speaking it in front of her professors, her family and her classmates, Nina was exploring her scientific theories to people she admiredshe was taking steps into the life of her dream. She was starting to achieve it. 

    But there was somebody missing. And she absolutely hated how he was still on her mind, constantly. A month passed. A month of Spider-Man showing up nowhere in the streets. Crimes were getting more frequent. Newspapers and tabloids wouldn't stop talking about his sudden disappearance. Nina was growing worried. But all she could do was sit up at night. All she could do was gaze out of her open window and hope that maybe tonight, he would change his mind and return. 

    However, alongside preparations for hens parties, and wedding parties, and trying to organise annoying bridesmaids. Alongside her grief over how things ended with Peter and Spider-Man's disappearance. Alongside her stress over college and her future. Alongside Harry's awol frustrations and their concern for how deep he was falling into his obsession with finding Spider-Man ... Nina was still managing okay. 

    She was getting somewhere in her lifeshe felt as if she was finally not being dragged down by anything ... or anyone. 

    And yet, even still, when she walked the street she glanced up to see if she could glimpse red and blue fly past. She still checked her phone to see if Peter may have sent her a message about something. She still felt some sort of glum ache in her heart every time MJ gushed about her life with Johnexcited to marry him at the end of the year. Nina was getting somewhere in her life, but something ... someone ... was also missing from it. She knew that with a bitter pain. 

    MJ noticed the slight fall of her face as she sifted through Save the Date cards. Her friend shifted against where she had leant herself against the front of her couch in her and John's apartment to frown at her best friend. She continued to watch Nina, hearing her softly sigh to herself as she slipped another card into an envelope.

    It was then that Mary Jane sighed, herself, and leant forward, "All right, hon, you better tell me what is on your mind or I will riot."

    Nina's eyes widened. She glanced up, taken aback. "Sorry?"

     MJ made a face, "I know you and your little sighs. Something's upsetting you."

    She pursed her lips, carefully closing the envelope and sealing it. "Its silly."

    "Nothings silly."

    "It is silly," mumbled Nina. "Because I keep telling myself that I am happy where I am. That I did the right thing. And yet ..."