lvi. a really good lawyer

chapter fifty-six
a really good lawyer

    ONCE AGAIN they were escorted out of the station. This time, however, it was by men and women in suits and S.H.I.E.L.D. jackets. Escorted and barricaded away from the loud, overwhelming press to the backseats of more cars. Nina tried to get to Peter, but he was ushered in front of her with the most importance▬he glanced back, desperate to catch her gaze, but soon, he was directed through a sleek, black sedan door. The agent closed the door on him before he could say her name. Nina watched, stopping in her shuffle momentarily▬wishing she could push forward and pull him out of that car. But when they let his aunt join him, she had to let it go, knowing that of all the people he wanted right now, it was May. Ned, however, was loving the attention. As they were escorted through the crowd of cameras and journalists asking questions that flew past their ears, he grinned and pointed and let out: "Wow! This is so cool! These guys are secret agents! S.H.I.E.L.D! I so thought you guys didn't exist anymore!"

    "Ned," MJ was chiding him, harsh out of the corner of her mouth at the looks people were giving him▬the agents included. "Ned, shut up. Shut up. Shut up▬"

    "Weren't you guys like HYDRA?" Ned went on without a care in the world to the agent that had introduced himself as Leith Roy. "Wasn't that a thing? I saw it on the news back in like 2014▬"

    Leith was the only one who didn't mind his questions. He made a face, as if he wasn't too sure how to answer that question in a short time. "Er▬well, it's complicated. We're not HYDRA anymore. Been there, done all of that way too many times."

    "Do you know Captain America?"

    "Er▬I wish."

    "Do you know the new Captain America?"

    "I wish, but also no."

    "Do you know any superheroes?"

    "Uh ... ever heard of Quake? Slingshot?"

    "Who?" MJ, Ned and Nina all said at once this time.

    Ned then added, "They're not Avengers."

    Leith smirked. "Yeah, that's because they're way better than the Avengers."

    Ned's eyes widened. His lips puckered and then parted with a breath of awe. "Whoa..."

    "Do you know Nick Fury?" Nina couldn't help but ask this time, having once just missed the chance of seeing Fury who had been hiding behind the door of Peter and Ned's hostel room back in Venice (just a week ago, but now, it felt like years).

    "We know Nick Fury," Ned stated proudly. He nodded, smug. MJ face-palmed. "We're like▬he's like our▬we're basically best buddies."

    MJ soon narrowed her eyes, glowering at Agent Leith Roy with furious suspicion. He arched a wary brow at her. Then, she burst into sudden interrogation. "Is there a S.H.I.E.L.D. base on the Moon called S.W.O.R.D.?"

    Nina shook her head before Leith could answer, turning to her friend and saying: "S.W.O.R.D. exists on Earth, MJ▬they were doing that whole thing with Wanda Maximoff and Westview earlier this year."

    MJ held her suspicious gaze onto Agent Roy. "That's what they want us to believe."

    Leith watched them for a moment, turning incredulous himself. Slowly, he murmured out: "... Okay ..."

    They continued the walk that wasn't that long, but felt like ages, to the sidewalk. Nina thought they'd be separated into another car, but when Leith opened the door to the same backseat as Peter's with a little smile, her eyes widened. Immediately she ducked inside and didn't even get a glimpse of Peter's face before his arms had wrapped themselves breathtakingly tight around her.