Chapter 2

Chapter Two

Mila

I walk into the huge Khan Hotel and Casino and gasp when I look up at the insanely high ceilings in the lobby. They definitely went over the top when designing this place.

A Puerto Rican dressed up like Genghis Khan growls and swipes a plastic sword at me as I walk down the vast hallway that has the best of the best designer shops in it.

I feel poorer than ever as I look inside each one and see shoppers with tons of bags on their arms. I can't help but wonder what it would feel like to walk around with one of those beautiful bags with the golden writing and the ribbons for handles. Only plastic bags have hung from my arms.

The clinking and clanging sound of coins on metal gets stronger the closer I get to the Casino. I grin when I walk in and look around at all of the bright flashing lights that are trying to get my attention. There are people everywhere, gambling their life savings, gambling their children's inheritance, gambling their next mortgage payment.

Some are dressed in fine suits and long gowns like they're about to head to a gala held by some gallant foreign king, and some are dressed in sweat pants and dirty shirts like they've been here for days. I'm wearing a white summer dress with a floral print on it and flats. Nothing special, but I think I look good.

I give myself a quick once over when I pass a full-length mirror. My brown wavy hair is draped on my bare shoulders and I'm looking like I fit in here, even though I only have three dollars in my purse.

I continue deeper into the Casino and gasp when I walk into the heart of it. About a dozen huge stone horses each the size of a bus are planted around the vast opening. There's an enormous waterfall tumbling down from the third story into a large fountain that then snakes around the entire place in tiny rivers. I'm looking around in shock as I walk over one of the wooden bridges. An elderly man tosses a quarter into the river that's floating under us.

"For good luck." He reaches into his bucket and pulls out a quarter. "Make a wish and toss it in," he says as he stuffs it into my hand.

I think of spending the night and losing my virginity with two men and then toss it in with my cheeks blushing. I know it's ridiculous to think that would ever happen, but the quarter is underwater before I can think of a more practical wish like winning the lottery or being able to work for someone other than my father.

"I haven't had any luck," the man says as I help him walk down the curved bridge. "The house always seems to have all of the luck in Vegas."

"Well, they have to pay for these giant horses somehow," I say with a laugh. "Hopefully your wish will come true."

"Yours too, dear." He waves his wrinkled hand and shuffles off to lose more money.

The main floor is a large circular area and I walk into the middle of it.

"Wow," I gasp as I look up at the multiple levels above me. There are six and each one looks more extravagant than the last. The huge stone horses are all pointing in my direction, looking mean and vicious with hooves raised and nostrils flaring. I quiver as I look around at them, imagining they were real and wishing two heroes would save me.

It's then that I feel eyes on me. I dart my head around and look up. On the top floor is two good-looking men in beautiful fitted suits. They both have dark eyes and dark hair. I gulp when someone walks by and I see the true size of them.

Are they looking at me?

They both seem to be looking down at me with a heavy intense gaze.

Come on, Mila. It's not me they're looking at.