Chapter 3

Chapter Three

Mila

"Strip poker."

It's the first words out of Jack's mouth and they make my whole body erupt in warm shivers.

They can't be serious.

"Do you know how to play?" Jax asks.

I swallow hard and nod.

My dad made sure that my brother and I were really good at poker. He's always holding games in the back of the shop with the owners of the local construction companies, painters and contractors.

"It's great for business," he always says. "Do you think the local Home Depot or Lowe's sets up poker games with beer and chips for these guys in the back of their stores? This is how we compete with the big box stores. This is how we stay alive."

It's been a good strategy and our family business has thrived when so many others have withered under the shadow of the huge corporate stores.

"But it only works if you win," Dad always says. "No point in hosting the game if you're going to lose all of the week's profits."

So he made sure that we knew how to play and play well.

I raise my chin as I watch the two  men from across the table. They look like they know how to play as well, and they'll probably work together so they'll get to see me naked, but I know I can hold my own.

"Five card draw," Jack says as he starts handing out the cards.

Their hungry eyes are on me as I pick up my cards and take a look. It's not bad. I have a pair of Queens and that's about it.

I narrow my eyes on them as they look at their hands. They give nothing away, but at least it's an opportunity to stare. I start to wonder what's going on in their heads, why there's not another girl in the empty seat next to me when Jax drops three cards down onto the table.

"I'll take three."

He's got a pair. I study his face just like Dad taught me to, and he doesn't look too confident in his cards. My pair of Queens probably beat whatever he's holding. I never take my eyes off him as he picks up the cards and looks at them. He didn't get much.

So far, I have one of them beat.

These two men are wearing fitted suits that were made for their muscular frame. Each has a crisp white shirt underneath with no tie. I do the math in my head. With their shirts, jackets, pants, socks, and underwear, I have to win six hands to get them naked.

I'm only wearing a dress, bra, and a pair of damp panties. They only have to win three hands to see me naked, and there's two of them. And I'm positive they're going to gang up on me.

I put down my three cards and Jack hands me three more.

I feel their eyes on me, staring hard as I pick up my new cards. A seven, a three, and another Queen.

My heart starts pounding in my chest, but I keep my face still, giving nothing away as I turn back to them.

Jax grins as he turns to his friend. "And what about you?"

Jack drops one card and picks up one. He's probably going for a straight or a flush.

His thick jaw clenches for a second when he looks at his new card. It's a tell that my dad showed me. He didn't get what he wanted.

I definitely have them both this round.

"Now," Jax says as he starts to remove his suit jacket, "we bet."