21 | THE GREAT OUTDOORS

This is my gift to you wonderful readers....

It's rough.

It's got more spelling errors than correct words.

But it's up for Christmas.

Enjoy the holidays!

Jess.

The park was wonderous

Zoe craved the outdoors like a fish was drawn to water. The light breezes soothed her; the earthly scents calmed her. When she was outdoors, it was like Zoe transported to a whole other world entirely.

Some people would think her insane for loving the outdoors so much in a century that thrived from being indoors. But she couldn't help it. You loved what you loved.

The family arrived at the park without much fuss. A miracle wrapped in a box when you think about it. Mari's maybe-boyfriend, Paul, was to meet them soon for a picnic lunch together. Zoe was surprisingly ecstatic, more for the park than meeting Paul of cause.

Zoe loved all manner of parks. When Zoe was but 5 years old, her asthma had been mild and the family had travelled more frequently. Zoe, being the sweet but stubborn girl she was, had demanded to stop at every park they passed along the way. Zoe thought it the best thing ever, her family not so much.

"Zoe!"

Zoe was snapped out of her daydream when a rough hand enclosed her upper arm and yanked her sideways.

"Next time I might just let you walk into the tree." Luca wiggled his eyebrows at her.

Zoe blinked. Her mind slowly travelled back to the present. Wow. She'd almost walked into a tree. That was a first for Zoe. She giggled silently to herself. Today was going to be a marvellous day.

"Here's good," Bella announced, indicating it was a good spot to place the picnic rug. "Can I go on the playground now?" Bella was impatient as always.

Mari gave her daughter a stern look. Both of them. "Not until Paul arrives."

Bella and Zoe both groaned simultaneously. Just beyond their reach was one of the best playgrounds she'd ever been too. They only came to this park occasionally now; apparently the half hour drive wasn't worth it to anyone else. But it was worth it to Zoe.

It started with a shipwreck, half sunken into the sand like it had been buried for years in the same place. It had hanging and jutting pieces, obstacles to manoeuvre and get from one side to the other or from top to bottom. After that was a maze of spiderwebbed cables and further from that were swings in the jaw of a crocodile! Among other things of cause.

Following Mari's instructions, everyone sat down on the two picnic rugs they'd brought. Zoe sat comfortably next to Hollie and Ava next to Bella. It indecently ended up being boys on one, girls on the other. Now all they had to do was wait.