17 | FORTUTIOUS REVELATIONS

Zoe Taylor never did understand rage.

How could such a minute signal in the brain cause someone to murder and harm an individual in which they had loved immensely only moments before? How could a simple reaction to stimuli cause one to take action over things that didn't even matter in the world?

Zoe was wondering the exact same thing as she pursued her twin sister, Bella, down the slim corridors of their elderly house. "Bell-a! I'm going to pull your strands out one at a time and watch as your face scrunches up in pain each time I–"

Zoe was concentrating so intensely on her picturesque description that she didn't lift her foot up enough to take her next step. Instead, her toe caught the edge of the rug in the hallway, sending her down onto all fours in seconds. Dam!

Zoe could hear Bella's chortling laughter from around the corner. "Your so stupid, Zoe." Bella peaked her head around the wall to see her sister sprawled on the floor. Zoe couldn't even run in a straight line! Now that was funny.

Zoe growled, a ferocious sound. "I hate you!" Zoe leapt from the ground, charging after her sister. Bella's eyes widened with glee at the chase and took off at a sprint through the house. Bella's laughter trailed after her in a wake of deception.

Bella disappeared through their mother's bedroom, Zoe following quickly with a skid around the door frame. Finally, she had her sister cornered.

When Zoe was tiptoeing over to the cupboard to sift through its contents for her sister, Bella slipped from under the bed and dashed out the door. Zoe spun to catch a trail of her sisters flaming hair. Of cause! Why hadn't Zoe though to check under the bed first?

Zoe scrambled back out into the hallway. Why did Bella always have to be one step ahead–

Zoe slammed into a wall, wobbling backwards, almost falling flat on her ass if it wasn't for the walls arm. Arm? Walls didn't have arms.

Zoe looked up into the bleary eyes of her 19-year-old brother, Luca. "What the fuck are you doing up at this hour? Are you chasing someone?"

Zoe made to ignore her brother and catch up with Bella, but Luca wasn't having any of it. When Zoe tried to move past him, Luca shoved her back in front of him lightly.

"Fine," Zoe said in a drawn-out sigh. "First of all, you're not supposed to swear in front of Bella and I."

Luca raised one eyebrow. It was funny how he could do that. "Does it look like I give two shits?"

Well, that settled that then. "Second of all, it's almost eleven o'clock, so a more appropriate question would be why aren't you up at this hour. And lastly, yes, I am chasing someone, and if you don't let me go then . . . then . . ."

Luca let go of his sister and laughed at her attempt to make up a good retort. Zoe smirked mischievously and ducked under Luca's arm, dashing down the hall again. Luca stared after his sister in disbelief. Had his 11-year-old sister just 'bested' him? When had she gotten so smart?

Leon, Luca's senior by only a year, stepped out of his room, right into the path of Zoe. When he saw her barrelling down the hall at full speed, he quickly slipped back into the room and out of her path. Leon eyed the hallway in the direction were his sister had gone. Luca quietly approached. "Is it really eleven o'clock?" Luca wondered to his brother.

Zoe took the steps downstairs with speed, two-at-a-time kind of fast. She was determined to catch her sister if it was the last thing she did. It was becoming harder and harder to breathe for Zoe, and not just because of her run.