18 | ANNIVERSARY

If n=4 solve y=4^n+1/2^n

Zoe leered at her ruled page; the lines completely blank of writing. Perhaps if she just stared at it for long enough it would magically solve itself...

"Zoe, you're not even trying."

Luca, who was perched beside Zoe at the kitchen table, flicked his sisters' ear to get her attention.

"Ow!" Zoe rubbed the side of her head in annoyance. "If it's so easy then why don't you do it!" Zoe retorted unseemly.

Luca raised his eyebrows. "I'm not doing your homework, Zoe. This is baby shit. Just finish it so I can go."

Zoe slumped against the table, vexed. "No."

Luca sighed. Why was his sister so frustrating? "Do you think I want to be here? Watching you sulk over a stupid fucking maths question? It's not the end of the world, Zoe. This is such easy maths. You should have been able to do it last year."

That felt like a punch to Zoe's gut. He had all but said she was stupid. "Wow. I didn't know you cared so much." Zoe was barely able to get the words out before her voice trembled at the end.

Zoe stood and began packing up her 7th grade homework that was sprawled along the kitchen table. Zoe should have known Luca wouldn't have been much help with her school work. He was only helping her, after all, because their mother had demanded it as punishment after Luca stayed out all night without notifying her. Honestly, though, it felt more like she was punishing Zoe then Luca.

Zoe held in her tears as she jostled past Luca's chair. Before she was even halfway across the room, she ran into Hollie.

"Hey, Zo. Dinners ready. Go help Bella set the table, okay?"

Zoe was not in the mood. "No," she said and walked right past Hollie.

"No?" Hollie said in disbelief.

Zoe, again, didn't even make it out of the dining room.

Elliot lent against the doorframe, staring intently at his little sister. "No, ay? You don't get a choice, Zoe. Everyone who lives here has to contribute."

Zoe scrunched up her face, perturbed. She made to slip past her eldest brother but should have guessed it would be futile. Elliot grabbed his sisters' upper arm and began dragging her to the kitchen.

"Hey!" Zoe protested, digging her heals into the hardwood floors. Why did he have to pull her backwards? She could barely keep herself upright, her body practically sweeping the floor like a mop. When they pasted a hysterical Luca, Zoe spun her legs out to kick him in the shins. She collided with her goal, earning her a muttered curse from her brother.

Elliot finally released Zoe so he could lean against the kitchen counter. "Go." Elliot nodded to the cutlery draw. "Now."

Bella, who was sitting atop the counter drying dishes from the draining board, looked up at their entrance. Without a word, Bella jumped down to begin to help Zoe set the table, as instructed earlier. Elliot, however, shook his head.

"It's your night off tonight, Bella." Elliot said. "Zoe has to do it by herself since she apparently doesn't know how to listen to her elders." Bella whooped and was out of the kitchen in a flash.

Zoe who still had her books in hand, dumped them on the empty kitchen counter beside Elliot loudly, then stomped over toward the cutlery. Now that all her siblings had moved back home, it was like having three mothers and two fathers. Zoe got nothing but lectures and scolding.

Zoe scowled as she worked to set the table. Organising plates, moving the dishes from the bench to the table and arranging glasses of water for everyone. All the while, Elliot watched his sister work, pondering on why her behaviour had become so radioactive lately. There was definitely something going on that he didn't know about. He would have to sit down later and talk with his little sister about it.