6: Reed

Corey and Thrain met me the night before, ready to help me with whatever I might need. Jerom also met me this morning at the pack border to explain how Simone was going to the mall with the other girls. He told me how she reacted to Roniston's words, her acting weird this morning, and when they were, she was supposed to return.

I had watched her carefully in the mall, Thrain and Corey staying closer to her, flirting with the other girls who didn't seem to notice their identities. When Simone went into the store with an irritated look on her face, I almost panicked. I made Thrain ask about her and finally, the lead she-wolf made Simone walk with them back into the woods on the trail that led to their pack.

At one point, I knew Simone felt my eyes watching her, but she ignored it. Then, when the lead she-wolf told her to run, I first wondered why. Thrain and Corey couldn't figure it out either until a wolf jumped out of the underbrush and chased after them, taking down the girls one by one. I saw Simone stop at the border, just inside, watching the action. When the last girl was taken down, she screamed. Before the wolf could attack her, Thrain lunged toward it and Simone ran again. I went after her, not wanting her to go back to Roniston.

I finally tackle her to the ground and flatten my ears at her scream. People started coming towards us and I glared at them before letting out a warning growl so loud, it made Simone curl up into a ball and start shaking. Corey stood behind me, ready to have my back in case anything happened while I try to settle my mate.

Carefully, I lie on top of her, hiding her body with mine until the only thing that could be seen was her head. The shaking stopped and the whimpers silenced. She lifted her head and eyes to look up at me, eyes wide. I soften my own and nuzzle her neck playfully. Shifting, so she's on her back, Simone reaches up and runs her fingers through my thick black fur, her eyes turning to adoration. "You came back?" she whispered.

I whine and lick her face, making her giggle until she threw her arms about my neck and tightly held me to her. Corey let out a low growl and I looked up to see Roniston walking towards us in a brown coat of fur and bared teeth. I kept my body on Simone's and didn't move. I can't have her doubting me again, can't have her going back inside that house crying.

A large gray wolf jumps in between us and growls at his alpha. Simone finally snaps out of her dazed state and shifts to see what's going on. "Jerom!" she screams just as Roniston lunges and rips out his throat.

With a strength I didn't know she had, Simone pushes me away and hurries toward her friend, crying. Corey growls, but I bark at him to stand down for now. Thrain appears and takes in the scene, understanding everything within seconds. Roniston carefully backs away, looking slightly guilty.

Simone glares at him. "You killed him! You killed Jerom! How could you kill your own pack member!"

Roniston shifts and pulls on some pants. "Simone, he got in the way—"

"Get away!" she growled. "Get away from me!"

Now the alpha narrows his eyes at her. "Simone, you need to come back with me, now. It's not safe."

"Screw safety!" She bows her head onto Jerom's bloodied chest. "Screw you and my mother! I hate all of you!"

I widen my eyes at her claim and shift, standing there naked while watching her cry. Roniston glares at me. "Get out of here! You can't come here and think it's alright to disobey another Alpha's orders on his own land!"

I shrug and look at Simone. "May I come over?"

Her eyes snap to me and she balks at my nudity. "No!" I am shocked by this until she says, "Not until you put something on."