36: Reed

It has been a week since the Luna Ceremony, a week of Simone being herself and letting me in, a week of pleasure and joy, a week of her being a full-appointed Luna for my pack. I haven't seen a frown on her face once, haven't seen her hide herself in the tiny attic space, haven't heard her screams or cries of torture and pain. Everything was perfect. Thrain even found his mate in the short amount of time, which left Simone with Jena while he got acquainted with the woman.

Now, having spent a day inside and on the couch watching tv, I hear the door open and close, but don't move. The light footsteps come closer before I feel lips on mine and open my eyes to see amber ones gazing back at me. They danced with playfulness. I sit up slowly and see Simone is smiling softly, seeming to hold strong emotion back. "Simone, what is going on?"

"Reed, I want you to follow me, please."

Her body is a bit stiff and her hands are fiddling with her shirt as if she's nervous. I see her biting her lip and her feet shift weight onto one another. I blink, having not seen her like this since the day of the car crash. "Should I be worried?"

"No, I don't think so."

"Did I do something?"

She shook her head. "No."

"Did someone threaten you?"

She smiles. "Other than my father telling me he'd kidnap me the next time I was late for one of our lunches, no." Simone grabs both my hands and hauls me to my feet in front of her. "I just want you to come with me."

I continue to stare at her for a moment, but then relent. "Fine, let's go."

She squeals in delight and drags me outside and into the forest. Her hair flies behind her, shining gold in the sunlight. Every time she glances back at me, her eyes are alight with happiness and she's carefree. I haven't truly seen her like this, and it's a refreshing sight to see. My hand tightens in hers as she continues to run.

I really hadn't thought about where we were going and found she had led me back to the house I use as a refuge from the pack. Simone seems excited, but I just dig my heels in the dirt and stare at the place, remembering the last I had been here, right after my mother's death. Simone glanced at me, saying something about how she knew it wasn't much, but I should wait until seeing the inside, but I didn't listen. I continued to think about my mother's face as the criminal murdered her in front of me, no mercy whatsoever, no way of saving her life. Plain murder.

"Simone," I say, pulling her to me. I knew she has already seen the inside and all the destruction, but I didn't want to see it. "Simone, we need to go."

She frowns. "Why? I like it here."

I look down at her, finally taking my eyes off the place. "I understand that, Beautiful, but I cannot be here. I don't want to be here."

Her face goes from confusion to concern. "What happened? Did I do something?"

I embrace her, seeing the way she would think that. "No, Beautiful. It's nothing you did, I promise. I just don't like this place right now."

Simone visibly slumps against me, her happiness deflated and forgotten. "I'm sorry."

I shake my head and kiss her. "Don't be. You didn't know. It's not something I went into detail about." Her head bent in shame; she starts walking back home. I run up and stop her, making her look at me. "Simone, it's okay. You didn't hurt me or anything bad."

"What happened?" she asked softly.

I pause and sigh, taking one of her hands and walking with her. After a long time, I say, "It was the day before I met you..."