24: Reed

Morning came a lot later than usual. I didn't get any sleep. I didn't eat or shower like usual. I paced and occasionally went into my office to look at maps of the land around. Nothing was popping up with any latest ideas for Simon's location. The bond is nowhere near usable and her scent was not even showing up on the ground. The closest sign that might have been her was a disturbance fifty miles in the woods from the road leading into the city. There were broken branches and wide trenches of dirt like something had been dragged. But the trench ended and the trail we had been on disappeared.

I was frustrated, infuriated, and out of control. Corey and Thrain still came back empty handed, solemn looks on their faces and exhaustion shaking their bones. I finally had to let them go home and sleep. Alpha Lykaon and Luna Opaline are doing their best, but not even they as mates are any better. I was beginning to lose hope fast.

Restless, I stormed out of the house, shifted, and ran into the forest to the best lead we have. It took an hour, but when I got there, I put my nose down and sniffed about. My nose filled with different scents from everything on the ground. I smelled dirt, long forgotten decay of a dead animal, pine, squirrel, and more that I couldn't decipher. I whined, walking up and down the inside of the shallow trench. Finally, my wolf eyes caught sight of black fur snagged on a pine needle. I smelled it, catching a metallic stench, blood, and underneath all of that was hickory.

I sneezed and sniffed again. It was the same, so I followed the trench slowly, finding the hickory, which stood out here, carried through. At the end of it though, it suddenly disappeared again. Whining some more, I made circles, becoming wider and wider until I was about twenty feet out. Nothing. I howled, hoping wherever Simone is at, she'd be able to hear me and know I'm coming.

I returned to my territory and went to my office, grabbing a map and looking at the location I was just in. For miles, there was nothing but forestry and hills. There wasn't even another road until you got into another pack territory. It didn't seem like anything should be there, like wherever Simone was, she wasn't on earth.

"Reed!" I heard Thrain call out from downstairs.

Sighing, I go down to meet him. And am shocked when I see he's holding Roniston by the neck. "What's going on?"

"He was sniffing around!" Thrain hissed. "Seemed to be watching us."

I look at the Alpha and scowl. "What are you doing on my territory?"

"I wasn't on territory until your Beta brought me here!" he snarled.

"What were you doing by my territory?"

"Does it matter?" Thrain tightened his arm around the neck and Roniston choked. "Making precautions."

"For what?"

He shook his head. "I can't!"

I roll my eyes. "I don't have time for this! Tell me or I'll have Thrain kill you."

He swallowed hard and opened his mouth. "Precautions so you don't find her."

My control snapped.

"Where is she!" I growl, slamming Roniston against the front door. "Where did you take her?"

"I didn't!"

"Then that bitch did! Where is Simone?" His mouth kept shut and I slammed him again. "Tell me or so help me, I will lock you up forever and make sure to torture you slow!"

"You can't do anything to me!" Roniston hissed and spit at my face.

I threw him into the tv and then kicked him hard in the ribs. "Tell me where Simone is! Tell me where Melanie is hiding her!"

"No!" he coughed.

I growled and threw him into the kitchen and against the stove. "If you don't tell me, I will make sure worse is done to you. Tell me, Roniston. You are really close to being in unbearable pain."

"Go ahead!" he wheezed. "Having to take care of that ungrateful brat is worth the pain!"

"Reed."

I turn and land my glare on Corey. "What? I'm busy!"

He stepped to the side and Jena appeared. My glare deepened and my patience was very thin. She said, "Have a map?"

I stare at her then turn to Roniston. Picking him up by the shirt, I drag him to the door. "Put him in the cells!" Thrain nodded and left with the Alpha. I turned on Jena and crossed my arms. "I don't care if you're Corey's mate, Jena. I will kill you if you play games with me."

She nods and I lead her upstairs with her mate in toe. I show her the map on my desk, and she looks it over before pointing to a factory district on the far side of town. "There's an underground abandoned jail facility there. Roniston used to go there a lot after Simone's mother died. None of us knew why. But I saw him the other day with a girl that looked just like Simone, going inside. When they left, I went in to have a look. If they're anywhere, it's there."

"Why were you there the other day?"

"Because, I had heard him talking about it the day before I came here. I heard something about the perfect place to hide something where no one would bother looking." She shrugged. "Call it curiosity."

"Why are you helping now?"

Now Jena scowled. "It's not for her. I'm doing it so I don't lose Corey. I'm doing it for myself. Saving my own ass."

I walk up to her and grab her neck in a tight grip. "You better hope you're right. If you're not, you're joining your old alpha in the cells." She nods and I push her away roughly, turning to Corey. "We're leaving tonight. You and Thrain call the other pack leaders and let them know. Make sure Truent is on standby since I know there will be injuries. And bind your mate."

"Why?"

"She's coming with as our GPS."