18: Reed

It has been two weeks since the day Simone was raped, and I got a letter from a very curious Luna. I still have not marked Simone because of difficulties not only with her, but with myself. First, I don't want to scare my mate or bring her anymore pain. I have said in the past that the only time I'd hurt her was in training, and yet when I go to inject medicine into her arm, all hell broke loose. So, I wasn't sure if marking her was such a good idea.

Second, there has been rogue attacks on my borders day and night that I've had to see to, which means I must leave Simone home with either Corey or Thrain. My mate was hesitant at first but started to warm up again after a few more rounds of chess. When she's asleep, I make sure to keep them right outside the door in case anything happens again. Fortunately, nothing has.

Lastly, I haven't marked her because I wasn't sure if Simone was completely comfortable with me being her mate yet. Of course, she finally lets me in and isn't afraid to be herself around me, but I didn't feel this was an intimate relationship like most mates. This was more of a friendship. After the incident, she was willing to let me kiss her, but never kissed back. There was never a good response that I liked when I kissed her. I wasn't even sure if she was hiding her emotions but felt elated for not being able to make her happy with the simple gesture.

Simone's birthday was a little more than a week away and I've let her use the computer and my phone to do some shopping to see if she liked anything, but when I went back to see her results, instead I found nothing. It was weird, she didn't search anything, and it made me wonder what she was doing for the hour or two I left her alone.

Since she was able to walk without wincing, I let her go outside and run with someone looking after her. Simone always came back with wild eyes and fur covered in forestry. Corey took pictures of her rolling around in the dirt and brushing up against trees. I found her adorable and hilarious. When she shifted into her human form, she was out of breath and alive with energy, but always goes to shower.

There have been no more notes addressed to Simone, no more cream-colored envelopes stashed in bathrooms or shoved into her hand. I kept the first one and waited for the moment the next would appear. I knew something would happen to make WB send another note containing of whatever threats against Simone. I wanted to find the underlying cause of it and fast, but Thrain couldn't find anyone who might come close to relating to Simone or her old pack.

It was three days before Simone's birthday when I came home early from a meeting with my pack's warrior men and got a whiff of something mouthwatering. My stomach urged me to find the scent and eat, so I followed my nose into the kitchen. There, putting her final additions on, was Simone making brownies. I stared at her dusting powder sugar on top then smiling to herself.

But it wasn't the chocolate I was smelling. I look around to see the oven was on. I walk over to peek inside, but a hand slapped me away. "No!" Simone growled.

"Why not?"

"If you open the oven, the heat will escape, and it'll cook wrong."

I raise my brow then put my hands up. "At least tell me what you're making, then."

"Lasagna."

I smiled. "Really?"

"Yes," she said and pushed me away. "Now go shower before we eat. No men allowed in my kitchen!" Chuckling, I leave her to her kitchen and do as I'm told.

I go back down about fifteen minutes later, and the table set and food already out. Simone is watching me carefully with nervous eyes from the other end of the room. There is two place settings and a bottle in ice. I point to it. "Where did you get that?"

"Corey," she says simply.

I shake my head and walk up to her, sensing something different. "This is beautiful, but may I ask why you're doing it?"