14: Reed

I wake before Simone this time, the light barely coming in through the window. I haven't slept that long and am still exhausted, but I get up anyways. Carefully, so I don't wake up my mate, I climb out of bed and get dressed. I go down to the kitchen and make coffee, then grab a few eggs and bacon, getting the bread last.

In a half hour, I'm bringing up bacon and eggs with toast and orange juice, with a mug of coffee in case she likes it. She still isn't awake, and I see she's moved towards my side of the bed, her face in my pillow. Smiling, I set the tray of food down on the dresser and sit beside her, brushing her hair out of her face. "Wake up, beautiful."

Her amber eyes flutter open and lock onto me, a hint of surprise before they close again, and she takes a deep inhale. "What smells so good?"

"Your breakfast," I chuckle and go grab the tray.

"You made me breakfast?"

"I would have done it yesterday, but you got up before I did," I say and set the tray on her lap carefully. "Besides, I wanted to."

She takes the fork and digs in, moaning her appreciation. After a few bites, she holds the forkful of eggs to me, her eyes determined. I lean forward and close my lips over it, watching her carefully as she smiles. Pulling back, I chew and swallow as she tries the bacon. She grabs the orange juice and drinks before looking at the coffee and scrunching her nose. "No offense, but I don't like coffee."

"It's fine," I say and grab the mug, drinking it. She makes a weird face at me before going back to her food. I chuckle. "I'll remember next time you hate coffee."

"How can you stand the taste?" she asks.

"I add sugar and milk. It mellows it out and gives it flavor."

Shrugging, she finishes the food and moves the tray to the side, staring at me. I raise a brow and she shake her head, looking away, but then glances at me again. I laugh and set the coffee down before standing up and taking the tray. "What's funny?" she scoffs.

I glance at her and see she's blushing. "You're adorable. I like seeing you being shy." Simone rolls her eyes and pulls the blanket over her head.
I chuckle again. "Get dressed. We're going out today."

This gets her attention and she look at me. "Where?"

"Surprise." She frowns but I shake my head. "Get dressed. Meet me downstairs and we'll go." Closing the door, I go back to the kitchen and clean up.

An hour later, I'm finished and waiting for her on the couch when I hear soft footsteps. Looking up, I see her in a black t-shirt and jeans with some sandals on her feet. Her hair is down, and she has little makeup on. Slung across her arm is a sweater and I can't help but stare at her. She smiles and walks up to me. "Now will you tell me?"

I smirk. "Nope."

"Why not?"

Standing, I put a hand on her lower back and guide her to the door. "Because that would spoil the fun!" I see her curious eyes glance around outside before coming to rest on the car. "Hop in."

I open the door and she slide in the passenger seat. Going around, I get in the driver's seat and start the car, pulling it onto the dirt road leading out of the territory. "You don't have to buy me anything else," she whispers.

I glance at her. "I'm not. We're not going to any stores today." She visibly relaxes and smiles. I furrow my brows and continue driving, unsure why she'd say that. "Simone, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"

I sense more her nervousness more than anything. "Sure."

"Besides telling you lies about mates and keeping you isolated, how did they treat you?"