Chapter 59- Darius

Adriano Calvetti

Goodbye, brother.

I watch as the coffin disappears under the ground while all I hear are sobs and the rain that is trying to muffle the sounds of my family.

Why? Why not me?

This is so fucking unfair.

I can feel soft skin brushing against the back of my hand. I lift my gaze and look into Amara's eyes that are already directed at me. Her wet hair is pressed to her skin and the tears just keep running down her face like the droplets down the coffin.

We look at each other while our hands softly join, warming our cold bodies.

I brush my thumb over hers and she gives me a sad smile.

This is so unfair.

I know.

It hurts so much.

I know.

I want it to stop.

I know.

I turn away from her to look one last time at the part of the coffin I can still see.

I have the urge to cry harder than I have ever done before but I can't.

I have to be strong.

My other hand clenches into a tight fist as I try to control myself.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Fuck.

Then I can feel arms wrapping around me.

And the moment I can feel her body hugging me tightly my head falls into the crook of her neck.

And I let go.

"I know." She whispers.

I sob and I sob until I can't even breathe anymore without feeling like I would choke on my salty tears that mix with the rain.

But if I thought lying in Amara's arms trying to hold onto her body with my life not wanting to ever let her go would overwhelm me I am not prepared for when I can feel Mateo's hand resting on my shoulder as he leans in and rests his forehead against mine.

The man that saved my life.

The only brother I have still left.

~~~~~~

Now I am alone.

Two hours later and I am sitting on a bench on the graveyard, the rain still falling from the clouds, my clothes sticking to my wet skin.

After the hug, everybody left, going their own way.

Amara and I still haven't talked but I know we have to.

We can't stay away from each other... not only because it would be unhealthy for our marriage and unfair to Christiano who we have to take care of together as a family but because it's just not possible.

She is the love of my life and the only reason I keep going. She is the only reason why I am not paying someone to dig me a grave here and bury me alive.

It hurts to talk about what happened but her being next to me but not with me feels like someone is gripping onto my heart and tries with everything they have to rip it out.

I close my eyes and focus on the water droplets that are pouring down onto me.

Someday I am gonna be with you again.