42 | not tomorrow

Kyle 

I hoped Rowan knew what he was doing. 

After the flames had taken to the ceiling above us, we raced out the front door. Charly was hesitant, she wanted to get Rowan, but Tommy wouldn't allow her. 

I practically stumbled down the front steps before I turned around and stared in disbelief as the entire cabin went up. It was insane. 

And Rowan was still in there. 

"No, Kyle," Tommy grabbed my wrist, his other hand hanging onto Charly, "He will be okay, you can't go in there." 

No matter how much I wanted to believe him, I felt anxious and terrified. I watched the front door, waiting intense seconds for Rowan and Rue to come bursting out. When the flames grew, consuming more of the house, and I didn't see them, I panicked. 

Suddenly, I was being dragged backward. 

"Tommy, what the fuck--" 

"Shhh," He hissed, "We're not alone."

My jaw clamped shut and my head spun to search the darkness beyond the fire's touch. Tommy dragged me behind a large oak tree, maybe ten feet from the burning house, and I peered around. Charly was biting her nails, eyes wide and frightened. 

Tommy kept ahold of her, as if he was afraid she would run at any given moment. Right into the fire, for her brother. I didn't doubt she would because I was considering it. 

Suddenly, I saw shadows emerging from the forest on the offside of the house. They slowly approached the front of the house, their hands at their sides, but I didn't miss the glint of the guns at their sides. 

I should have known they would see the fire. 

As if things couldn't get worse, I saw the front door whip open and Rowan stood there. 

"Ro--" Charly went to scream but Tommy slapped his hand over her mouth. She whimpered into his hand and he kept whispering to her, something I couldn't hear. I could only focus on my little brother, he had to get out. 

Rowan realized who stood there, as they raised their guns, and he slammed the door shut. My heart raced to dangerous heights as I realized he was trapped in the house now. I realized that Rue hadn't been with him, where was she? 

Holy fuck, this was a mess. 

Suddenly, there was shattering glass and I saw someone fall into the bush beside the house. Just out of view of the two men, who waited to kill whoever emerged from the house. But, the noise had drawn their attention and they moved around the house towards Rowan. 

Somehow, Charly had broken free from Tommy and she was sprinting towards Rowan. 

He seemed confused, stumbling out of the bush, as he stared at the burning house. He had no idea that the two men were mere feet away from him, all they had to do was round the corner of the house.

 They saw Charly, their attention drifting between the two of them. 

Charly smacked into Rowan, tackling him to the ground, just as the men were ready to take a shot. 

"Hey!" I shouted, stepping out from behind the tree that shielded me from view, "Over here, motherfuckers!" 

The two men snapped their attention to me. 

Rowan and Charly scrambled to their feet and ran around the back corner of the house. 

I waved my arms, "Come get me!" 

Noxiousजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें